Thread: Needing to know that someone else has had this

1. Needing to know that someone else has had this

Some of you know me from other sites and you're probably rolling your eyes at me. LOL

But I have to know if others have experienced the terror I have.

Last night, I came in and was putting up the groceries. Breathing normally. Suddenly, as I breathed in my heart went THUD, skip, stop, flutter. It did it again when I breathed out.

I tried to ignore it and move on. But it continued...and was getting worse. I leaned over my bed trying to stop it. Didn't help, so I stood up and went to take an Ativan. I paced my hallway for almost an hour until I felt brave enough to sit. I went up stairs to talk to my husband. As I was talking to him it happened again. So I went to sit down, it kept on. They went away if I sat up straight or stood up straight. I went to lay down, laid down on my stomach, started again. Got on all fours and tried to breath through, didn't help at all. I laid down all the way on my side, that was a mistake. So I halfway rolled on to my back and put my arms out to where my chest and diaphragm were open. Fell asleep, I didn't have any problems through the night. Woke up and I started getting anxious over them and fearing I would have to endure another attack. So I took an Ativan. Well that Ativan just wore off.

It happened again. Breathing normally. Inhale thud, skip, stop, flutter. exhale thud, skip, stop flutter. This time, I tried to ignore it and put my mind elsewhere. They did go away.

Has anyone else had this? It seems I'm the only one to have it like that.

Re: Needing to know that someone else has had this

My palps make me feel breathless too. That's the worst part for me.
    I don't think they are as bad as yours though, but I do take reassurance in the fact ive had 3 ECG s done this year and my doctor said only to worry if I start fainting.
    Not sure if that's helpful or if it will make you worse :(
    I would suggest if they recently got worse to see your GP, maybe get a 24 hour hoilter monitor.
    I do know that they are a lot of people here who get the palps very bad like you describe.
    The hearts very strong, it can can handle a lot!!
    I had a rather high heart rate for a week straight and the doctors checked me out to be on the safe side.
    Things like coffee , too much chocolate, alcohol , cigarettes , stress, lack of sleep in my experience make them worse.
    Also my period seems to bring on my palps as does pain.

Sorry to hear you've not been feeling too great.
    I get palps if I stand up after sitting or if I do anything that uses energy lol
    I saw on a hospital show, a doctor saying something like changing positions can help calm down your heart.
    Like lying down for a while and then sitting up.

I find meditation seems to help but it's pretty much impossible for me to do that when I'm anxious.

I do get the odd hard beat and the flutter, never lasts too long but it's an awful feeling and always scares me.

hi hun
    No i have had completely the same symptoms and can totally understand how unnerving and upsetting they are. Only 2 days ago i had a bad attack and it cut short a lovely day out with my daughter. Please just try and work through them i felt like i was going to die when i started like this but 10yrs later i'm still here so now i try and think like that if they havent harmed me yet then i must be ok.
    Take care
    Janey x

5. Re: Needing to know that someone else has had this

Thank you so much Janey. it helps to know others know exactly what I'm talking about as it's hard to describe. There seem to be very few people who experience this.

How often are your attacks like this?

Thread Information