Thread: Panic attack and heart attack risk

Panic attack and heart attack risk

Hi everyone

I've had panic disorder for around 15 years and have suffered countless panic attacks, as many as several a week at one time in my life.

From most of the self help books I've read the consensus is that panic attacks do not cause or lead to heart attacks or cardiovascular disease. Why is is that the scientific evidence that I find on the internet states otherwise... For instance today I stumbled upon this whilst trawling for information on panic attacks:-

"It is often stated that panic attacks do not lead to heart attacks. This is true as far as it goes; however, sufferers of uncontrolled panic disorder are at a quadrupled risk for eventually experiencing a serious cardiac event. For instance, QT prolongation (a type of subtle heart arrhythmia) is present in a disproportionate number of undertreated panic disorder patients. In fact, a variety of arrhythmias are observed with disproportionate frequency in panic disorder patients, though many of them are only observable during an episode or during the lead-in to an episode. The paroxysm of the attack itself may serve to correct the arrhythmia."

This was from the website http://www.panic411.com/, which gives an overview of panic disorder and its effects.

Who is right? Are panic attacks that damaging?

Re: Panic attack and heart attack risk

I won't lie stress can lead to heart attacks, my hear palpitations and tacycardia put me at a higher risk,
    But really I'd rather forget it I ever read that stuff as it's no use to me, all I can do it work on my anxiety,
    Lots of things increase risk, like basket ball players are at a higher risk,
    Smoking , drinking, bad diet, etc...
    Same way pretty much every ing causes cancer from the sun to platic bottes.

I don't really know if this made you feel any better x

In English

Uncontrolled panic where it MAY occur from nowhere or no reason and occurs frequently, may be down to an underlying arrhythmia ( heart malfunction ) AND an individual may think it's a panic attack, but in fact this QT prolongation ( showing a heart malfunction) is in fact the heart trying to correct itself and regain a regular " normal " heart beat.

They mention under treated BASICALLY individuals that have been misinformed by there doctor and this arrhythmia has goon undetected and wrongly been treated for anxiety/panic disorder instead. The thing is panic sufferer or not, many people have underlying problems which go undetected And not everyone with panic will have an arrhythmia it's just panic!

So when they say the quadrupled risk sentence etc. These individuals have obviously been missdiagnosed with having panic as opposed to a serious heart condition AND THATS WHY they have a greater risk of having a full blown heart attack in future!!

And when an individual experiences a panic attack and hyperventilates, the rhythm of the heart will be affected AND as the article states most of the time the the arrhythmia prolonged QT complex occurs during or before an attack, again hyperventilation and nervousness, adrenaline rush, heart detects this increase adrenaline, heart beats faster.

This article is very contradictory in that it's say it's true in one breath and then they say however increased QT complex is noticed.

Just because something is scientific doesn't mean it's 100% correct and scientists put lots of however and therefore in and sort of to and fro because there obviously is truth that panic attack patients hearts do experience heart changes but it's on the majority due to having a panic attack. But like everything in science has to be treated with an air of caution as sometimes a disproportionate...

(Not proportioned; unsymmetrical; unsuitable to something else in bulk, form, value, or
    extent; out of proportion; inadequate; as, in a perfect body none of the limbs are disproportionate; it is wisdom not to undertake a work disproportionate means. REF
    BRAINY QUOTE)

"Unsuitable to something else in bulk" therefore on the minority NOT majority these arrhythmia's occur!

Also the QT complex if prolonged can show arrhythmia normally tachycardia.
    Right, tachycardia is a fast beating heart compared to what's " normal" so the QT complex of individuals with panic is bound to be longer because as we know a fast beating heart beat is a characteristic of anxiety.
    And anything other than a regular beating heat beat is termed an arrhythmia. An arrhythmia can be anything, palpitations to more serious heart conditions!!!

Hope this helps don't worry too much about it, I think the problem is the symptoms of a heart attack can be mistaken for panic and vice versa. Bit of a grey area really when it's in black and white obviously always talk ton your GP if your worried everyone is different.

Collette
    Last edited by Col; 12-08-11 at 10:00. Reason: Typo

heart attacks are (in the huge percentage) caused by heart disease, a blockage in the arteries, end of.

this can happen in panic suffers, this can happen in non-panic suffers, its dependent on lifestyle, end of.

how many people do you know who have had heart attacks caused from heart disease?
    how many people do you know who have had heart attacks caused from panic attacks?

thetube82

What a frightening post :-(

Quote Originally Posted by shropshire_lad View Post
    Hi everyone

I've had panic disorder for around 15 years and have suffered countless panic attacks, as many as several a week at one time in my life.

From most of the self help books I've read the consensus is that panic attacks do not cause or lead to heart attacks or cardiovascular disease. Why is is that the scientific evidence that I find on the internet states otherwise... For instance today I stumbled upon this whilst trawling for information on panic attacks:-

"It is often stated that panic attacks do not lead to heart attacks. This is true as far as it goes; however, sufferers of uncontrolled panic disorder are at a quadrupled risk for eventually experiencing a serious cardiac event. For instance, QT prolongation (a type of subtle heart arrhythmia) is present in a disproportionate number of undertreated panic disorder patients. In fact, a variety of arrhythmias are observed with disproportionate frequency in panic disorder patients, though many of them are only observable during an episode or during the lead-in to an episode. The paroxysm of the attack itself may serve to correct the arrhythmia."

This was from the website http://www.panic411.com/, which gives an overview of panic disorder and its effects.

Who is right? Are panic attacks that damaging?
    Hi shropshire lad im from shropshire too and like yourself hae suffered with panic attacks since i was 17. I dunno really i mean noone has had a heartattack from a panic attack i guess the symptoms r like that.

Hi Shropshire Lad, I've had PAs off and on for nearly 30 years. I smoke. My dad had heart attacks and angina and my mum has had high blood pressure for years, so I guess I;m a prime candidate. I've never had any heart probs, however, so I really don't think this is anything you need to worry about x

She said, I'm tired of the war
    I want the kind of work I had before

Panic attacks don't cause heart problems but what does is all the stress, extra alcohol, increased smoking, lack of exercise and bad diet because of the panic attacks.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Nicola is 100% correct!!!
    Please listen her!!

Thanks for all the replies folks, some very rational and good responses that have helped put my mind at some ease.

Also, sorry if some of you didn't like this posting... I was just disturbed from reading this article and wanted to see what others had read on the topic.

As my CBT book says to defeat the fear of anxiety and panic with FEAR - Face Everything And Recover!

Good health and luck to everyone!

Thread Information