Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gastritis, anyone have it?

Gastritis, anyone have it?

Hi all, have been told today I have gastritis after endoscopy. Nothing else yet, just "You have gastritis" "See me again in 3 weeks" Great! 3 weeks of hell! I am on omeprazole and thought i had acid reflux, she didnt mention that but maybe she will do next appt. Does acid reflux show up on endoscopy?? Why would someone get gastritis, if I make that much acid while on omeprazole, surely there must be something very wrong? Can gastritis be caused by anxiety alone despite medication? I could really use some feedback on this as I have had a really horrid day and thought when the test was over I may get some respite from the worry.

Re: Gastritis, anyone have it?

Quote Originally Posted by jessieblue View Post
    Hi all, have been told today I have gastritis after endoscopy. Nothing else yet, just "You have gastritis" "See me again in 3 weeks" Great! 3 weeks of hell! I am on omeprazole and thought i had acid reflux, she didnt mention that but maybe she will do next appt. Does acid reflux show up on endoscopy?? Why would someone get gastritis, if I make that much acid while on omeprazole, surely there must be something very wrong? Can gastritis be caused by anxiety alone despite medication? I could really use some feedback on this as I have had a really horrid day and thought when the test was over I may get some respite from the worry.
    Hi Jessieblue

I had gastritis a couple of years ago and it was caused by stress horrid husband got rid lol. I was given antacids. They found out by me having an endoscopy. try not to have spicy food until it clears and drink milk and take your omeprazole. I am on them at the moment as just gone thru separation from husband. I have reflux and don't think the citalopram helps thy are anti depresents. Don't worry about gastritis it is painful but the tablets will help. It's just that your tummy is inflamed. Hope this helps

Cathy xx

Thanks Cathy, I have been really stressed lately, lost my mum 6 months ago and many other family issues with a lot of responsibility shoved onto my shoulders, then health anxiety kicks in and things just got worse and worse. So can you really give yourself gastritis by worrying about it and being very anxious? I was hoping there would be nothing wrong, but now am scared I do have a geuine health problem. I wanted to just be diagnosed as a hyperchondriac!!! Gastro never mentioned acid reflux although i know i have this too, would she have seen this? I wish she would have come round to see me before I went home so I could have asked her some questions. I now feel very anxious about what she found and what it all means. xxx
    Last edited by jessieblue; 10-08-11 at 18:45. Reason: mistake with text

Who gave you the news - the hospital or your own doctor?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I also had like a milky powdery drink and thy xray my gullet which was fine. endoscopy goes in your tummy so thy don't look at your gullet. They said stress or spicy food can course gastritis mine cleared up and I don't have it now but i do have acid reflux at the moment with anxiety I got now and of course the citalpram made me feel very sick. You have had a lot of things to deal with and when you are upset your tummy does suffer. xx

cathy xx

I had endoscopy today and the gastro doc said I had gastritis. I know because I should have been sedated but the sedation didnt even make me feel sleepy let alone put me to sleep! so at the end of the procedure she said I had gastritis and that she was sending biopsies off!! I now have to wait 3 weeks for the results. I didnt see her afterwards so couldnt ask her any other questions, which I thought i would be able to do. I thought she might have mentioned acid reflux as this what what she first said she would look for, also took a biopsy of my oesophagus to look for barretts oesophagus i believe.

All very scary when you have HA. I wonder why I couldnt have just had the barium x ray you mention, maybe they will do this too??

Hope I'm doing this right it's my first time on this site. I was looking for information about Gastritis and it lead me to No more Panic I seriously hadn't put the two together. I have suffered with an anxiety disorder for many years and only came of anti depressents in November last year .It's such a relief to stumble across so many fellow sufferers not that I want anyone else to suffer as it's so horrible.
    My gastritis has got gradually worse since about April time first of all it was just alcohol that burned then it was coffee tea and salty food now it's just about everything. I was referred to a consultant a couple of weeks ago but he didnt think it necessary for and endoscopy and since then it has got even worse.I don't think I'll be able to get rid of the cancer worry until I have one. My gp is in the process of re referring me but waiting is making me even more stressed out and probably making it worse.

Ok well you will be able to ask your doctor any questions as he/she will have the results as well.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Yeah I know the doc will have some answers, but 3 weeks seems such a long time to wait. I am so stressed out after the procedure, my throat is really sore and I cant swallow as I feel im going to gag! Have been awake all night with even worse stomach symptoms and now am worrying about the results. Its so hard when you have such high anxiety levels to wait calmly and get on with your life. So far having the test hasnt helped me at all, just raised my anxiety which has no doubt aggravated my gastritis anyway! Wish I hadnt had it done as I am sure they will have to do another gastroscopy or some other test, plus I am already on the treatment which doesnt work, so I can see me being no better off at all.

Welcome to the forum Luv2 and thanks for your reply. I know how you feel about being stressed, you cant stop yourself and you know its making you worse. Its such a vicious cycle. Are you on any medication for your gastritis and how did doc diagnose it if you didnt have endoscopy?

Hi yes I've been on omeprozole for about 6 weeks and before that lansoprozole. This last week has been horrible cos I can only manage to eat rice pudding ,porridge and drink water. My doctor has tried to get me back into see the consultant with no luck so I'm having to privately to see a different one on Saturday. It's so frustrating because I think I would improve if I was just certain of the diagnosis and not have the consultant guessing. My doctor has been great he's as frustrated as me I had to see him again today and he's put me on ranitidine so I keeping my fingers crossed after reading another post where the combination of the two has worked.
    How are you feeling ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information