Thread: Spider phobia out of control

Spider phobia out of control

I've always been scared of spiders but up until 8 years ago when we moved to a new house, I had only seen fairly medium spiders, which I was scared of just because of how they ran, but I wasnt constantly thinking about them and panicing. In our new house however we get spiders of the gigantea variety only, and I mean they are big, several inches big, def as big as my hand (Im a fairly small 27 year old female). We've had two this last week in rooms ive never seen spiders in that much before, a spare bedroom and an upstairs toilet. These spiders are bigger even than the ones we've had before, I thought the one I saw last night must be from a joke shop it was that big! I live with my parents and scream for them to kill them, I cant even be close to the little ones let alone these 'big daddy' ones. I have to have them found and killed for me too, as out of sight does not mean they are gone, they are only waiting to emerge again when I least expect it (as Im sure any fellow arachnaphobics will agree). We hadnt had a massive one in ages, since before this week when I;ve seen two of the biggest ever, I had thought that when we got a new kitchen installed last year and had about 30 or so giganteas over a few days that we must have found the breeding ground and eliminated them, but it seems not and Im beside myself!

I havent slept all week, and last night was actually vomiting half the night and shaking uncontrollably (I think I was actually in shock at the size!) and Im at work now terrified to go home tonight, let alone lie down in bed and sleep where im scared one will run over me in the night. We live in a fairly normal house, not a farmhouse or one in the country, we use the spider repellent foams, I never allow windows to be opened, the only thing can think of is that our house isnt all that big so we do have quite alot of stuff in our rooms which Iguess mg=ight mean hiding spaces. Thing is ive asked friends and they say they get spiders but not on the size i describe.

Im at a stage now where I can spend all day terrified of seeing a spider and all night watching everywhere expecting one, and then crying at night cos I cant relax enough from worrying about them to sleep. In short my fear has got pretty serious recently, its like over the years ive been becoming gradually more scared of them rather than less! My reaction is now much worse than it used to be and seeing one can affect me for a long time, not helped by the fact I usually see another one unexpectedly before over seeing the last one! I really feel depressed and scared right now, cos its not like a fear of height where you can simply not go up a height or avoid the object of fear, im def going to see a spider again I just REALLY REALLY dont want to! The fact theyre so darn big and numerous also feels like a cruel joke! Plus my dad thinks im nuts as he isnt particularly bothered by them (altho I have heard him exclaim recently over the size, and last night he said to my mum oh god how am I going to get rid of that!)

Id consider some kind of therapy for this phobia but I do not want to hold a spider on any account, i cant evern stand being in the same house as one let alone room, so I dont think things like Zoo's spider programmes would work on me.

Quite a rant there Im afraid! Ooops, just thought it might be theraputic writing this at the least, as feel at my wits end, feel like such a freak as well as surely its not normal to be this scared
    Last edited by louise123_uk; 12-08-11 at 16:04.

Re: Spider phobia out of control

What sort of spider was it? A big black/brown thing (house spider) or a thin gangly long-legged thing (a cellar spider)

The biggest house spider I've ever seen was hidden in the wall cavity of a out-house we knocked down last year. It was like a tarantula. Would probably have taken down a small bird if it tried… well if half a tonne of masonry didn’t fall on it first.

I just googled "house spider" then recoiled from the picture (I'm a mild arachnophobic)

Shouldn't have typed this now...

Jeff

Hi Louise
    Theres absolutely no need for you to feel like a freak about this as lots of people have arachnaphobia and many other phobias too. Not sure how you should tackle this but if i come across anything I'll let you know.
    Ian

I have this too in fact so does my mum. There was a huge one in the bathroom once and it disappeared and reappeared in my slipper! I got my mum a spider catcher for christmas which is a closing claw/cage/bristly thing on the end of a long stick and you get them then release them somewhere FAR away.
    If you wanted to be rid of this phobia, you could perhaps (at a price) try some therapy such as the Rewind Technique which is done by the human givens institute, or self hypnosis (some of these are on youtube videos), or your own kind of CBT where you could perhaps try to get a bit closer to a spider each day until yo can touch it.

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

Hey louise123_uk,
    Firstly even though it seems like this is something that you are going to have to cope with for the rest of your life, its not true.
    It is a very simple phobia to get rid of.
    Have you tried any direct therapy?
    Last edited by mikewales; 15-08-11 at 12:44.

Coincidentally, there was a medium size one on my pillow last night. We had a Wild West Stand off, me and the spider (cue the theme from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly)

I then opened the window, picked up the pillow from the opposite end to the arachnid, then proceeded to shake it violently out onto the path below. (Didn't shoot it) Then check under the bed, behind the headboard and on the rug for any more of the varmints. Coast was clear so went to bed slightly concerned that there were more of them somewhere.

Jeff

I don't have any tips I'm afraid since I'm absolutely terrified of them too... But just to say, those big ones are always on the move much more in late summer/autumn because it's the mating season. So, if it's any comfort, you probably won't be seeing them as much the rest of the year. There have been three of the huge ones in our house in the last few days, one in the bedroom where I have never seen one before - they are usually downstairs. Maybe something about the weather is making them more active this year, but we always get much more of them at this time of year.

I have been feeling scared and on edge all morning because we had the one in the bedroom last night - I'm constantly looking around everywhere at the floors and walls to check there aren't any up there so I do know how you feel...

I don't think they will make you pick up a spider in therapy - I don't think they will make you do anything you don't want to but perhaps it might at least help you to be in the same room as one and look at one even if you can't pick it up?

Quote Originally Posted by brambles View Post
    Coincidentally, there was a medium size one on my pillow last night. We had a Wild West Stand off, me and the spider (cue the theme from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly)

I then opened the window, picked up the pillow from the opposite end to the arachnid, then proceeded to shake it violently out onto the path below. (Didn't shoot it) Then check under the bed, behind the headboard and on the rug for any more of the varmints. Coast was clear so went to bed slightly concerned that there were more of them somewhere.

Jeff
    Ha ha this is brill! Could see that in a film XD

I'm creating a spidy hypnosis session right now and am going to see if it has any affect on my phobia. If it does, I would happily send you an mp3 or script for it, but im vocoding the voice so it sounds like a consitpated robot.

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

Quote Originally Posted by PanchoGoz View Post
    it sounds like a consitpated robot.
    Nothing a bit of WD40 can't sort out!

I'm only a mild arachniphobic, so I don't feel ill if I was to see one, just slightly concerned. I don't like looking a close-up pictures of them on wikipedia though - makes me shiver! Why I don't know because they're tiny compared to us.

Hi Louise, I can empathise with you as I also have a severe spider phobia. I am terrified of the big ones, so much so that I won't even say their name and my boyfriend knows not to also! Since I started living on my own for the first time just over a year ago I found my fear worsened, not because I encountered any of the big kind in my place but because I constantly worried about what I'd do if I did see one and there was nobody around to get rid of it for me. I am still like this and also find it difficult to sleep a lot of nights as I'm watching around the room for critters and paranoid that one might get near me during the night. This is probably going to sound crazy but one day I mentioned to my bf that I'd like to construct a "coffin" to sleep in at night, essentially a completely enclosed bed with netting zipped up around it and no possible way for critters to enter; only then could I be sure that my bed was free of critters and my mind was free to fall asleep. He bought me a mosquito net which I have attached to the ceiling above my bed and it hangs loosely down around it. Whilst it is clearly not impenetrable, it does give me a little bit more peace of mind when going to bed at night. I really hope we can both (all) overcome this yukky phobia. All the best

Thread Information