Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ecg and what it can show.

Ecg and what it can show.

Hi,ive been having chest pain/tightness for 2 weeks now,ive had 5/6 ecgs and somes bloods done all ok but the ecg thing is bugging me,everyone seems to have a different say on what it shows,i want to know do you have to have had or having a heart attack before it shows any abnormalities? or can it show if the heart isnt working due to a blockage or another problem,the resting ecg takes a minute or so and it worries me that its missed something serious.

Re: Ecg and what it can show.

I will PM RLR and ask him to answer this. He is a very busy man though so it may not be immediate.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I am going to say something that you may not want to hear but I think you need to understand it.

If you get a blockage in an artery to the heart then even if you had an ECG the day before it would not necessarily pick it up because the blockage causes the heart attack. So there is no way of knowing really if you are going to have a heart attack without having further tests like an angiogram possibly to check that the arteries are clear.

Other tests could be an echocardiogram as well.

So the answer to your question I would say is that No, an ECG cannot necessarily pick up all heart problems.

If I am wrong on this then RLR will tell me.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I found this for you Sandy...

http://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/h...-helpline.aspx

Give them a call they are fantastic. I have spoken to them before.

Ok,yikes your right i didnt want to know that but i thought that an ecg was not enough,ive looked at the site you posted and they are closed, only open mon-fri,dont know what id say to them, im really worried about my heart as the pain is still there and tightness,it comes and goes..last ecg was last night at AE.
    Last edited by sandy40; 12-08-11 at 20:08.

You can't keep going to A&E Sandy - don't they say something to you about the amount of times you have been in?

It is also serving no purpose as you don't believe what they tell you anyway.

Why don't you ask them all these questions and concerns when you are in A&E?

Ring the BHF on Monday and have a chat with them, and tell them how you feel and ask the questions you want answers to. They won't mind and they are very friendly.

I asked last week would a ecg showed a blockage and they said yes but the only way to be sure was to have an angiogram so that to me didnt make sence..yes but...so what is it? Yes im going to AE too much but i get scared when the pains/tighness get really bad plus NHS 24 phoned and ambulance last week when i didnt ask for one...im still havig the same pains ect and im scared a fatal heart attack is whats going to happen, cant believe i wrote that but thats how i feel.

Hi Sandy
    My husband has had an heart attack 2years ago, while i am no expert the BHF are really good to talk too.....also have had blood tests for cholestrel etc......also go and speak to your GP and they may put your mind at ease...

Hi im booked in to have my cholestrel checked on the 29th,ive had a few ecgs lately but it still doesnt tell me if theres a problem,my gps all blame anxiety so my hands are tied they wont do anything as they dont take me seriously,i hope your husband is ok now.x

an ecg can show if you have ever had a heart attack or if you have an inherited form of heart arrythmia or atrial fibrillation etc etc

In A&E they usually do an ecg and a blood test and the blood test is definite if you have had or are having a heart attack, the blood test will be positive upto 5 days after a heart attack.

HOw old are you???

I get alot of chest pain from the muscles between my ribs, they get easily inflamed from doing slightly different movements, most chest pain is muscular.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information