Thread: Bad prayers

Bad prayers

Before OCD hit I used to listen to a lot of American Christian stuff especially the movement where believers think they can do anything with power if their mind.

You can tell where this is going. My OCD realised that it could scare me by asking for god for the very worst things and adding on "in the name of Jesus". I'm terrified. Any time I try to rationalise it I get reminded of these stories the preachers told me where this person cursed a fig tree and it happened of that person asked for suffering and they got a horrible illness. My treasure us my health and my OCD asks for horrible things and I'm just scared....

I guess I need reassurance that unwanted prayers are meaningless no matter what magic words we say or if we say them as if to god. I'm actually shaking as I type this, worried that this isn't just OCD and is a real genuine concern. I dont want anything bad to happen to me :(

Also people talk about, well, you didn't really want it, not deep down. My OCD jumps on that and tries to say it in such a way that I get scared it cane from this magical place that makes all the difference.

I'm in a mess. Help?

Re: Bad prayers

Hey there,

I'm a Christian, and I've suffered with the same sort of thing in the past, so I know where you're coming from.
    Something that you may find relieving to know is that it does say in the Bible "if you ask anything in my name.." BUT it's referring to asking God Who will only answer prayer according to His Will. He won't just answer any old prayer -that would be dangerous for many people! He wants people to pray according to God's Will.
    I also believe in a good and compassionate God, and that He knows about our illnesses, including mental health, and rather than being angry at us, has compassion on us for any uncontrollable thoughts causing havoc in our brains! (I believe that the enemy likes us to suffer in this way, playing on our fears)
    (hey, maybe you could pray that the thoughts will die in Jesus Name?!) Not trying to preach at you but I hope it may help you some to know this from a Christian's perspective =)

Remember -you ARE NOT your thoughts, and you are not judged by what you cannot control.

All the very best to you

Also, think about this. The stuff you are wishing for is not something you actually want - its just words in your head. Prayers are answered from your soul, and God knows what you atually want and need, and he knows very well yo have OCD.
    You make it sound more like a superstition than a faith! Everything happens for a reason and you aren't going to be cursed forever from now on
    I hope nobody leaves any "there is no God" comments, thinking that will help because it won't. Everyone has their beleifs.

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

Thank you so much all. It's great to know it is OCD and not a 'real' problem... it's helped. These replies really sent a wave of immense relief over me.

God knows what's in your heart! Doesn't matter what your brain is thinking or your mouth may be saying...He sees into your heart!
    xxx
    Sandy
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    Lao-Tze

Thread Information