Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My new baby (crow)

Re: My new baby (crow)

Crossing everything for you - crows are such amazing birds!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Crossing everything for you - crows are such amazing birds!
    yes aren’t they? I am so excited I may have the opportunity to get to know one personally. I have heard much about their intelligence- similar to that of a 7 year old human I’ve read - and it will be fascinating to get to experience it first hand. But I’m getting ahead of myself! I know these babies usually do die when not being raised by their proper parents....

Really hope it works out for you - a tame crow is my husband's dearest wish in the world

Really hope it works out for you - a tame crow is my husband's dearest wish in the world
    Is it?? I like your husband! Do you know why?

He just loves crows, plus when he was a kid, one of his great uncles had a tame jackdaw

I really hope Moss can become your very own House Crow, Jojo! Every day is a day's worth of growth and you have given Moss every possible chance of survival against all odds! xx

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I really hope Moss can become your very own House Crow, Jojo! Every day is a day's worth of growth and you have given Moss every possible chance of survival against all odds! xx
    me too! But we will never cage him or her..... she can choose to stay with us or go and be a wild crow. I am just excited about getting to know (a teeny tiny bit) a crow mind....

He just loves crows, plus when he was a kid, one of his great uncles had a tame jackdaw
    And do you know how long the tame jackdaw stayed with his great uncle? Was it confined or did it just choose to stay?

I'm fairly sure it stuck with him by choice.

Good for you! I've rescued many baby birds (and squirrels, mice, etc.) and have been fortunate to raise them to adulthood and then release them back into my yard. I don't know what you're feeding him but I've had the best luck with dry dog kibble that has been soaked in water so that it swells and is soft and mushy. Once the bird is big enough to start hopping I move them to a fish tank with heat lamps and a heating pad underneath. Once it's starting to climb I give it some branches, and when it starts to flap, I move it to a large bird cage. I then take it into a small room (bathroom) and let him practice flying, and when he's fully feathered, eating on his own, and flying well, I move his cage outdoors to acclimate him to the sights and sounds and smells. Then I eventually open the cage door and let him come and go as he pleases. Eventually they find a family and don't come back, and those days are bitter sweet.

Good luck with yours - it's a wonderful and rewarding experience.
    Sue

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information