Page 109 of 717 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119159209609 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 7166

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by glassgirlw View Post
    i think it’s a fair point you both make. In my area we’re seeing higher percentages of Hispanics and African Americans getting the virus. It’s very much due to living situations, lack of healthcare, and other socio-economic divides. Not to say that everyone can’t get it, but the percent positive numbers (at least in my city) are trending higher for a couple of ethnicity groups.
    Same here. The Polynesian/Pacific Islander community has been hit hardest in our county. Many of them are hospital workers and nurses. Then second is the Latinex/Hispanic community and then African Americans. I think any natural disaster automatically puts into perspective the inequalities in communities.

I think Asian families are more likely to meet with other households simply because family is a massive part of their culture. The current celebrations will mean extended families getting together although larger events might not take place (they might since places of worship are now open).

Around here the usual nightly fireworks are happening but it seems more muted to me compared to previous years. They know they need to protect their elderly family members so I expect they are working around it as best they can. I've seen a few large family get togethers today.

Burnham seems to believe it is a factor but I would expect the same to be occurring in the West Midlands where we also have large Asian numbers. Maybe we will hear soon?

I hope this is not latched onto as an excuse to demonize them or whip up hatred.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I hope you and yours are ok, Terry? I heard on the news that there had been an outbreak at a pub in Stoke...
    Thanks pulisa. Stone is in the countryside with one bus route from Stoke-On-Trent that is dire. It's a very long journey as it goes around loads of estates here first and you can't catch it from anywhere at my end. Stone is basically car only from my way.

I have fond memories of freezing my bum off at 6am on their tiny train platform (station closed long ago, now somewhere the homeless use) in a suit after my dad dropped me off as he worked around there.

So I expect most of those morons will be locals. I can't see anyone driving miles out there for a packed pub as we have many of them around Stoke. I would only go out to places like that for a nice meal in a good pub.

I hope the landlord gets the book thrown at him for that. Profit before safety. He will be popular with the other small business owners for wrecking their sales.

Yes, family is a huge part of many Asians and Latino cultures. But here, many multi-generational families live together because of the high price of housing and rent. It can often take several adults in one family pooling their salaries to make rent and pay for the other necessities of life. Is that not the case in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    I think Asian families are more likely to meet with other households simply because family is a massive part of their culture. The current celebrations will mean extended families getting together although larger events might not take place (they might since places of worship are now open).

Around here the usual nightly fireworks are happening but it seems more muted to me compared to previous years. They know they need to protect their elderly family members so I expect they are working around it as best they can. I've seen a few large family get togethers today.

Burnham seems to believe it is a factor but I would expect the same to be occurring in the West Midlands where we also have large Asian numbers. Maybe we will hear soon?

I hope this is not latched onto as an excuse to demonize them or whip up hatred.
    Re your third paragraph, I'm sure that the West Midlands (mainly the conurbation of the same name that comprises Birmingham, the Black Country, etc) was already hit harder earlier in the pandemic, but I suppose we must all be prepared for all eventualities, though the town I live in has very few BAME residents.

Re your fifth paragraph, I agree with you completely and really hope that it doesn't suddenly bring the EDL and their ilk out of hibernation, as we seem to have thankfully seen a bit of a lull in their activities over the past 3 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Get well soon, Lola and some I've eaten all the grapes so you'll have to settle for a 2 litre bottle of cola I got from the hospital shop (and I topped it up with vodka from my hip flask ).

You get your share of those types of things. I hope that changes as it's not much fun!
    Thankyou Terry I am hoping to be home Monday had Cellular Therapy and if my temperature gets back to normal I will be home.
    Thankyou everyone else for your get well wishes.

Now back to Covid it is bad in Victoria and getting worse in NSW. I just don’t understand why people are so bloody dumb.
    Stay home if you have it,wear a bloody mask when out in public it’s that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolalee1 View Post
    Thankyou Terry I am hoping to be home Monday had Cellular Therapy and if my temperature gets back to normal I will be home.
    Thankyou everyone else for your get well wishes.

Now back to Covid it is bad in Victoria and getting worse in NSW. I just don’t understand why people are so bloody dumb.
    Stay home if you have it,wear a bloody mask when out in public it’s that simple.
    It's all the mixed messages they've had during the first and second lockdown (in Victoria) and they're sick of being told what to do as it impinges on their rights!! Of course in reality they're totally selfish and don't give a sh!t about anyone else other than themselves

1. We did the hard months in lockdown abiding by rules for you to get here.
    2. No one gives a shit if you prefer white towels or hotels with sea views.
    You're in quarantine for fourteen days ...obey the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by WiseMonkey View Post
    It's all the mixed messages they've had during the first and second lockdown (in Victoria) and they're sick of being told what to do as it impinges on their rights!! Of course in reality they're totally selfish and don't give a sh!t about anyone else other than themselves
    In Berlin there have been protests today from the Corona deniers, CTers, and several far-right factions, who are getting indignant about their freedoms being curtailed ahead of certain restrictions being re-imposed due to new spikes in CV infections in certain parts of Germany.

Some people just have no shame!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lolalee1 View Post
    I just don’t understand why people are so bloody dumb.
    LOL That's the million dollar question, Lola!

I hope you've met some hot nurses and doctors during your stay Get well, soon!

Did you all this headline? Russia plans mass coronavirus vaccines in October

It will be interesting to see what happens. At this point, all we can do is watch and learn from each other.

Page 109 of 717 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119159209609 ... LastLast

Thread Information