Thread: Bitten by dog 1,5 months ago

Bitten by dog 1,5 months ago

Hi

Was bitten by a domestic dog 1,5 months ago. Was given the tetanus shot, but I obviously developed rabies anxiety. At random I feel tingling or pricking in the bite area(calf). This could very well be hairs being pulled by my pants or from training etc.

Apparently rabies is extinct in my country but I still get these serious episodes where I think I have it, and then it goes over.

For all I know the dog was imported illegally and had rabies the moment it bit me. What annoys me even more is that I never got to see the dogs vaccine certificate and apparently pets in my country are not given rabies vaccine since it's extinct. However, who knows, what if the dog stuck its mouth on a dead rabid animal?

EDIT: I wore pants when it bit me it it didn't puncture my skin, but it left a clearly visible bite mark and it took 3 weeks to heal completely. Might also be a reason I've had some sensations there as my pants rub against it in my everyday life.

Re: Bitten by dog 1,5 months ago

Quote Originally Posted by Seibar View Post
    Apparently rabies is extinct in my country...what if the dog stuck its mouth on a dead rabid animal?
    If you don't have rabies in your country, it's very unlikely the dog was exposed to an animal with rabies. Animals also almost never get rabies from contact with dead animals, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Seibar View Post
    EDIT: I wore pants when it bit me it it didn't puncture my skin
    That statement alone indicates it would be impossible for you to have rabies. You have to have saliva enter the wound - if there is no wound, and there are pants in the way, there is no ability for the rabies virus to get in.

You did what you needed to do post-bite, and if the doctors had thought you were at risk they would have addressed it. But honestly, your risk is zero. I'm in the US and we very much have rabies here - even then the risk of humans catching rabies is still essentially zero, and the ones who do catch it from wildlife, not domestic dogs.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
    If you don't have rabies in your country, it's very unlikely the dog was exposed to an animal with rabies. Animals also almost never get rabies from contact with dead animals, anyway.

That statement alone indicates it would be impossible for you to have rabies. You have to have saliva enter the wound - if there is no wound, and there are pants in the way, there is no ability for the rabies virus to get in.

You did what you needed to do post-bite, and if the doctors had thought you were at risk they would have addressed it. But honestly, your risk is zero. I'm in the US and we very much have rabies here - even then the risk of humans catching rabies is still essentially zero, and the ones who do catch it from wildlife, not domestic dogs.
    I got a visible bite wound, it's just didn't create holes(puntcure). Like I said it took 3 weeks to heal and I have scars. I guess there's a difference between break skin and puncture? Ot definitely broke my skin. It bit my leg and got a good bruising which resemble teeth mark(hence why I was given a tetanus shot)

It's was a small dog so chances are that the teeth got in-between the fabric.

It was a small border terier dog.

If the flag means you're from Norway, there hasn't been a recorded case of rabies since 1815. I think you're good

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information