Page 2 of 717 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Good News About Covid19 Reinfection

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I presume you mean a lot of the sad cases who have a habit of getting all cynical and sarky at the slightest hint of any good news. And not just over any potential progress concerning COVID-19 either.
    And I don't necessarily mean anyone on here BTW.

[QUOTE=Lencoboy;1945969]I presume you mean a lot of the sad cases who have a habit of getting all cynical and sarky at the slightest hint of any good news. And not just over any potential progress concerning COVID-19

no l mean the press printing crap, it confuses people and isn't helpful to people as to what to believe

best wishes

[QUOTE=MRS STRESS ED;1945986]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I presume you mean a lot of the sad cases who have a habit of getting all cynical and sarky at the slightest hint of any good news. And not just over any potential progress concerning COVID-19

no l mean the press printing crap, it confuses people and isn't helpful to people as to what to believe

best wishes
    I know what you mean, my apologies.

No Lencoboy please don't apologise you done nothing to be sorry for xx

best wishes

If it's true that you can't get it twice than herd immunity should continue. If not, the lockdown will just prolong until the NHS is able to cope. But, the NHS have hospitals they're not even using so may aswell carry on as normal no?

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    If it's true that you can't get it twice than herd immunity should continue. If not, the lockdown will just prolong until the NHS is able to cope. But, the NHS have hospitals they're not even using so may aswell carry on as normal no?
    The problem with that is that if you just allow the virus to rip through the community, you’ll overwhelm the healthcare system.

Yes, you’ll achieve herd immunity much quicker, but the loss of life not only due to the virus itself, but indirectly due to an overwhelmed healthcare system would be unfathomable.

The UK government were actually going for herd immunity, whether they deny it or not, it was said, but imperial college drew up a model that suggested a death toll of 500,000 and, if recall correctly, 1.5 million hospitalisations. You can see why they swiftly changed tactic after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    The problem with that is that if you just allow the virus to rip through the community, you’ll overwhelm the healthcare system.

Yes, you’ll achieve herd immunity much quicker, but the loss of life not only due to the virus itself, but indirectly due to an overwhelmed healthcare system would be unfathomable.

The UK government were actually going for herd immunity, whether they deny it or not, it was said, but imperial college drew up a model that suggested a death toll of 500,000 and, if recall correctly, 1.5 million hospitalisations. You can see why they swiftly changed tactic after that.
    I agree, but that's why I mentioned there's still those new hospitals that are not being used. Maybe those hospitals are there in case of a larger outbreak. What you say certainly makes sense.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    I agree, but that's why I mentioned there's still those new hospitals that are not being used. Maybe those hospitals are there in case of a larger outbreak. What you say certainly makes sense.
    Keep in mind there’s an average of about 5000 new cases in the UK every day. That figure is slowly going down but for every day that passes a fair percentage of that 5000 will need hospitalisation.

The new hospitals aren’t needed at this moment but that could easily change literally in a few days. This virus is unpredictable in that regard. Hopefully they do remain empty but it’s better to have them there just in case.

Also it's a good idea to have treatments ready before let it out of the box...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    The big question is whether you’re infectious or not. It’s all well and good saying an individual is personally safe from the virus but can they still shed infectious virus to others?

It was always almost certain that infection would produce at least short term immunity, but the reason that the W.H.O, amongst others, are nervous at the prospect of antibody testing is because we are still a long way off proving that antibodies fight infection within as well as ensuring an individual is no longer contagious to others.

It’s a good first step, however, to show that individuals are protected to a certain degree. Now they need to start ensuring protected individuals are no longer infectious to others.
    I've read that the higher the viral load, the longer a person is infectious so these people would be in isolation longer until they are symptom free. Generally most are considered non-contagious after 14 days from the onset of symptoms. However, some residual RNA of the virus may remain but it is considered to be not infectious. In the same way viral RNA has been found in the carpets of cruise ships, but is inactive.

It appears that infected people (who have spent 14 days in quarantine) are not passing it on to others in their families afterwards, suggesting that this time frame is accurate.

Page 2 of 717 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast

Thread Information