Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Health anxiety and alcohol

Health anxiety and alcohol

Evening all, so now I’m fretting because when my health anxiety is really bad I always turn to a few drinks in the evening, but then I start freaking out that I’m going to cause damage to myself, it’s such a vicious circle, can’t wait until medication properly kicks in, I’m scared of dying but aleast you don’t get all this anxiety when you are not here anymore, I’m actually sick of living in absolute fear, I really want to feel better by Christmas I have a beautiful baby grandson and it’s he’s first Christmas and I don’t want to ruin it, and I’m not even an old nan I’m 45, I really hope the meds start kicking in soon because everyday is such a struggle cx

Re: Health anxiety and alcohol

It's not the most recommended of things to be reliant on alcohol, but if you're not vastly exceeding your recommended units it's not worth worrying about. Do check if your meds and alcohol mix though - even if not dangerous you may be reducing your meds' efficacy.

Define 'a few'.

There's plenty of growing evidence to suggest that even moderate regular drinking is quite bad for your health. Much more so than was previously thought. The main culprit being constant inflammation throughout the body.

I often have drinks to help my anxiety, way more than 'a few' as the last poster said on some occasions
    ! Don't feel bad about it though, it's not ideal but I get it and I do the same. Just be careful not to spiral with it. But I don't agree with the previous poster scare-mongering, you're on a HA page!

Don't worry about it at this stage, just keep an eye on it. Xx

I started having a few drinks on a regular basis in the eves -( never used to) NO!! its not recommended or ideal ( but what is?) ..I suffer with debilitating health anxiety on a daily basis ( associated with past events/circumstances) - I take meds, I just about get through the days- when the eve comes I feel that I need/want a drink to help me relax..I dont drink to get drunk and am not an alcoholic - so if it helps etc...Some people smoke all their lives and dont die/get ill from it - what will be will be

Quote Originally Posted by LF87 View Post
    But I don't agree with the previous poster scare-mongering, you're on a HA page!

Don't worry about it at this stage, just keep an eye on it. Xx
    It's not scare mongering, it's fact. Drinking alcohol to cope with anxiety is a supremely bad idea for numerous reasons.

Enabling it by suggesting that it shouldn't be worried about at this stage, also not a good idea.

Most HA suffers worry about things that aren't happening, and we tell them not to worry. Suggesting that somebody not worry about something that IS happening and that IS bad for their short and long term health is an irony too far...in a HA forum.

I'm not suggesting it's good for our health if abused, but it's realistic to suggest many people have a glass of wine here and there especially when feeling anxious. My point was that it's not something to worry about at this stage, everyone I know has a drink here and there, it's not the end of the world. If she said I'm drinking excessively to cope with anxiety, that's different. I just think demonising alcohol isn't the answer to that original post. Will just lead to more feelings of worry which isn't needed.

The OP said 'I always turn to a few drinks'

The key words being 'always' and 'a few'.

I bet it's more than the odd glass of wine here or there.

If the OP had said she sometimes had the odd drink when things got really bad, I would probably have kept my big mouth shut.

There are some, even those on meds, that can handle alcohol. If you're one of them, good for you. However, those posting about it obviously are having an issue with it or they wouldn't be posting.

Every med on the meds list here has warnings and cautions about alcohol. Even those not on meds can have adverse reactions to alcohol as documented here. I agree with AJoe about turning to a "few" drinks as that's self medicating and causing undue anxiety.

People gonna do what they wanna do regradless so I guess it's just more power to them and as always...

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

It’s up to each to decide their tolerance for drinking. You have to decide if a) you can tolerate the “hangxiety” that comes with a morning after and b) you can accept the potential health risks associated with drinking.
    If you can, great, enjoy. Otherwise it’s best to abstain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information