Thread: Anyone else suffering from Insomnia on cit?

Anyone else suffering from Insomnia on cit?

I’m posting this at 5am on a Monday morning and I’ve just about managed 2 hours of disturbed light sleep. I’ve never had a problem with sleep before. Usually takes me a while to fall asleep but once I do I can sleep for 8 hours at least.

So this is a little concerning!

I don’t even feel tired. Like wide awake and not anxious either so it’s not uncomfortable. I just feel like it’s 5pm instead of 5am!

Is Insomnia a side effect of taking Citalopram and does it go away eventually?

I’m on week 5 of Citalopram at 20mg

Re: Anyone else suffering from Insomnia on cit?

Yep, insomnia is a side effect and I have seen many people here having to deal with it while on cit. Some even take another medication to help them sleep while on cit. The insomnia however could potentially diminish.

Yes - the 1st week. I told my doctor and he suggested 1mg Melatnonin before bed. That seemed to help as I only took it for 2 nights which seemed to help get rid of the insomnia.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie1990 View Post
    I’m posting this at 5am on a Monday morning and I’ve just about managed 2 hours of disturbed light sleep. I’ve never had a problem with sleep before. Usually takes me a while to fall asleep but once I do I can sleep for 8 hours at least.

So this is a little concerning!

I don’t even feel tired. Like wide awake and not anxious either so it’s not uncomfortable. I just feel like it’s 5pm instead of 5am!

Is Insomnia a side effect of taking Citalopram and does it go away eventually?

I’m on week 5 of Citalopram at 20mg
    Did the insomnia go away? I'm on day 7 of citalopram and have been suffering terribly with a lot of the side effects. A lot of them have seemed to have settled over the past 2 days however the sleep disturbance is still a major issue for me. I was willing to give these tablets 3 weeks and just power through the sickness/loss of appetite/increased panic attacks but the insomnia- its just something else! Really struggling :( Any words of advice would be much appreciated.

If you are taking the tablets at night switching to mornings can help.

It should all pass though

Thread Information