Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Throat/Tongue symptoms caused by anxiety?

Anxiety about throat cancer

I had a mucocele on my inner lip which has recently been removed. This was in June and during this time I worried it was cancer even though doctors informed me otherwise. I then looked in the back of my throat and noticed red blotches. This led me to google about throat cancer and am now convinced I have it. I began looking in my throat constantly and around my mouth. I then began having symptoms such as dry mouth, burning feeling, dry base of tongue feeling like something was there. I also feel like something is growing in my throat and have difficulty swallowing occasionally. This has been going on for a month or more with no relief. I’ve been to ENT for follow up on mucocele surgery and he checked it out. He informed me my throat looks cobblestones and says it might be allergies (which I’ve never had) or acid reflux. I have since recently noticed my tongue was yellowish.

Anyone else have these issues?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Anxiety about throat cancer

Quote Originally Posted by Blue23Blent View Post
    I’ve been to ENT for follow up on mucocele surgery and he checked it out. He informed me my throat looks cobblestones and says it might be allergies (which I’ve never had) or acid reflux.
    There you go!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

He didn't look all the way down my throat though. What if he missed something? Should I get a second opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue23Blent View Post
    This led me to google about throat cancer and am now convinced I have it.
    What can you learn from the above statement?

Have you tried taking something for reflux rather than assuming you have cancer? Tried treating the anxiety maybe?
    An ENT said you don’t have throat cancer, there’s your answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NancyW View Post
    What can you learn from the above statement?

Why would the symptoms last this long if it wasn't something more serious? I've tried everything to not think about it but it keeps returning.

---------- Post added at 13:52 ---------- Previous post was at 13:47 ----------

The ENT wanted me to have testing before medicating. He tested me for allergies but I wasn't able to do the 24 hour PH probe test. Have a follow up with him tomorrow and will ask about reflux medication. I don't feel like I have reflux though that's why I have doubts. I don't smoke or drink but still concerned it could be HPV caused.

The allergy test came back positive for just dust. Which I've never had issues with dust and that doesn't make sense that this would start randomly since my mucocele.

---------- Post added at 13:53 ---------- Previous post was at 13:52 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    Have you tried taking something for reflux rather than assuming you have cancer? Tried treating the anxiety maybe?
    An ENT said you don’t have throat cancer, there’s your answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The ENT wanted me to have testing before medicating. He tested me for allergies but I wasn't able to do the 24 hour PH probe test. Have a follow up with him tomorrow and will ask about reflux medication. I don't feel like I have reflux though that's why I have doubts. I don't smoke or drink but still concerned it could be HPV caused.

The allergy test came back positive for just dust. Which I've never had issues with dust and that doesn't make sense that this would start randomly since my mucocele.

I'm a Head and Neck Cancer survivor.

Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts.

Anyway... this is similar to the thousands of other throat cancer posts and not one in the time I've been on the boards has been anything sinister. You won't be the first I assure you!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

If you’re going to google, I’d recommend looking up the schooling/training requirements (residency, etc) of ENTs compared to other physicians. They are extremely highly trained and specialized. They know what cancer looks like.

Has anyone experienced or throat looks like the photo I posted? Here is another angle that may be better.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nomorepanic; 25-07-18 at 20:30. Reason: picture removed - too big

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    I'm a Head and Neck Cancer survivor.

Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts.

Anyway... this is similar to the thousands of other throat cancer posts and not one in the time I've been on the boards has been anything sinister. You won't be the first I assure you!

Positive thoughts
    By come and go I mean at some points during the day it feels better then other times it feels dry and troublesome again.

---------- Post added at 14:06 ---------- Previous post was at 14:04 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by AMomentofClarity View Post
    If you’re going to google, I’d recommend looking up the schooling/training requirements (residency, etc) of ENTs compared to other physicians. They are extremely highly trained and specialized. They know what cancer looks like.
    Not sure what's causing me not to trust the ENT. I think it's because of the symptoms I'm having. He also seemed really laid back like nothing was wrong.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information