Home | Contact | Sitemap | Privacy Policy | Terms and conditions
User Name
Password
Depression from Panic/Anxiety Depression that is directly related to Panic and anxiety. Please also read this Website page: Depression

Old 03-12-17, 08:47

Is this depression?

About 9 weeks ago I started with some symptoms of depression: uncontrollable crying, lost appetite, waking up at 5am. After a few days of this I went to the doctor and after doing the questionnaire test I was diagnosed with moderate depression, and prescribed citalopram 10mg.

Once the early side effects had passed, looking at my diary I've only had 5 days where I've been crying. All the other symptoms have gone (I'm sleeping better but not as well as before, my appetite's returned etc). The only times I feel "low" or "sad" is on the days where I can't stop crying, but like I said that's only a small percentage of the last 9 weeks. Having said that, I've had days like that the last 2 days in a row now.

I've started CBT and wellness but I don't feel like it's going to help because I honestly don't have anything that I worry about, or upsets me. On my low days the only things that I think about are my children and that I might have to cancel a 40th birthday holiday next year ... not exactly awful life events are they.

Can anyone advise? Apart from those 5 days when I can't stop crying the other times I feel a bit jittery and nervous but that's about it (probably worried about what's going on in my brain). Will therapy help? I don't know whether to up my dose of citalopram to 20mg, or am I taking citalopram for no reason if it's not stopped me crying the last 2 days? Or is it just a blip?

I feel a bit lost tbh.
Old 23-12-17, 18:23

Re: Is this depression?

Depression doesn't always occur because you have a reason. It just kind of hits you.
I've had symptoms of depression for a while. But occasionally I will feel happy and not as bad as the other days. But then it just goes back to bad. I heard somewhere that depression is like being pushed out of water, and only getting a gulp of air for a minute then going back in. I feel like those good days will be gone in a while. So I can relate, that I don't feel as bad as some days.

I suggest talking to this to a very close friend, just not only for advice, but to just blurt it out because it helps to just open up to someone.

Tags
depression