Thread: Eye twitch /spasm, but constant...

Eye twitch /spasm, but constant...

Hi, I've had eye twitches before that come and go throughout the day. But this new one is literally constant - from when I wake up to when I go to sleep. (poss when I'm asleep too, who knows!) Its my lower lid and you can see it as more of a spasm in the bag of my eye, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic ALL DAY! It is also causing the lower lid area above it to twitch up and down but thankfully not too much. So I only visibly notice it when I look down, or obviously when I look in a mirror. But it is the fact that there is no respite from it that is getting be down - a) because it worries me, as I've never had a 'constant' twitch before and b) because its so tiring / frustrating as is making be quite upset.

Its been twitching for 5 weeks now (only the last 2 weeks have been constant). The doctor tried me on diazepam for a week (as that has worked for me for other twitches in the past). She said to go back if it didn't work, so I dutifully did only for her to say we can't really do anything else! Then she got into the whole "what are you worried it is" stuff. and, "have you googled and scared yourself?" I never google & I wasn't worried about anything specific, but of course now she's got me wondering what she was thinking I might have read to worry myself! ... Haha, reading that last sentence back makes me seem so messed up!

So basically, I went to the doctor in the hope that they would know how to stop the twitch and because of the fact that its constant is completely new to me. Doctor says it will go eventually and that if it doesn't go eventually they will need to investigate further... Erm, anyone know how long "eventually" is?! Cos obviously thats how long she thinks I should wait before going back!!! Aaargh.

Sorry, about this post - its mainly a rant and a release of my frustration. I've been in tears daily about it (which is so unlike me) and yet I know that the stress & tension probably perpetuate the blasted twitch.

If anyone else on here has had a CONSTANT twitch that did 'eventually' go away by itself, some re-assurance would be great! Thanks guys,

Re: Eye twitch /spasm, but constant...

I didn't allow myself to look in a mirror today until lunchtime and felt much more relaxed, but then there it was twitching back at me. Plus on a normal day avoiding mirrors isn't really an option!

I've recently had this in my left eye. It was twitching all the time, even when I was in bed! It lasted for nearly 3 months and worried me sick! but it went away as quick as it started. I've just put it down to another symptom of stress, anxiety and all that goes with it.

My Doctor said there was nothing wrong with me... but when I checked on the internet I found out that I'd been clinically dead for months!

Yep - same here. My right eyelid twitched randomly then stopped. Then out of the blue it started twitching again but didn't stop for 2 months. Eventually when it did stop my eye felt odd - heavy and gritty. I still get occassional twitches but I'm less stressed now..... there's your answer! Hope it goes away soon - I know how frustrating it is! xx

Thank you both Taffy and Meche for your replies.

Funnily enough my 'constant' eye twitch suddenly became 'sporadic' instead last weekend. Which was very encouraging - I was waking up without a twitch, but a heavy or tightening kind of feeling in and around that eye (so interesting to hear the similar description you gave meche!) But the twitching kicked in BIG TIME later on each day. Then yesterday it didn't twitch at all for the first day in nearly 7 weeks! Hooray I did get an earlier night last night. And so far today, no twitching. I think I'll keep getting some earlier nights for a while to keep the twitch at bay.

I regularly get eye twitches, I have one at the moment that has been going strong for 6 weeks, they are a nuisance as sometimes you can see them as well as feel them. They always end up going away and then a while later I get another one. I don't think they are at all harmful and I just try and forget about them. I do hope yours will disappear soon.

I get that aswell but as other say it seems to just go away.

The best thing is not google twitch as you do only seem to come up with the worst case scenario.

I have twitching all over my body and when i googled it i was sure i was going to die of a horried disease but then i found what i suffer from is called Benign fasciculation syndrome and most people that have anxiety suffer from it at some times.

Muscle twitch is a new way of anxiety coming out and the eyelid seem to be the most common area.

Thread Information