Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constant need for excitement?

Constant need for excitement?

Hi everyone
    I’m the long term partner of a man who suffers GAD. He’s had it 10 years now (diagnosed).

I’ve realized one thing about him, he can’t stand it when life isn’t ‘exciting’.
    Most of us go through their day by following a certain routine and so does he.. the problem is that he’s pretty bored of this.. his work bores him, his friends bore him, I bore him.

As a person he has always had this NEED for excitement, something new, something thrilling.. and when that lacks he gets extremely anxious/ frustrated.

This question and the background of his ‘issue’ is hard to explain, but does this relate to anxiety or GAD.
    Does anyone else with anxiety/ GAD always feel like they NEED to be excited about something?
    And if so.. why is this?

Thank you everyone

Re: Constant need for excitement?

GAD is more the opposite. As a GAD sufferer myself it's more constant low level anxiety symptoms when I have it in control. At the worst it takes over my life everyday until I get to a point of recovery where it is more in the background.

Feeling overwhelmed by change & uncertainty is a big part of GAD. Your partner seems the opposite to this. But I do also experience agitation which makes me want to move and do things, experience things but then the anxiety stops me trying due to fear of symptoms, which makes it frustrating.

Maybe it's more in the Mood Disorders category? More closely linked to depression? Or perhaps he hasn't realised other ways in which his anxiety appears? How does he cope when put under pressure? Do social events cause worries?

Hi MyNameIsTerry.

Thanks for your reply.

My partner does frequently stress and worry about the unknown elements of his life. He definately overthinks and panics over things that are beyond his control.

In mine and his culture, when you reach a certain age, it’s time to get consider getting married and settling down. Unfortunately I think anxiety makes him overthink whether him and I would be happy in a marriage. He feels like a relationship should always be butterflies and excitement constantly, and after 8 years together we don’t quite have the newness of the relationship anymore. And it makes him doubt us.

The way he describes his life at the moment is; I’m bored with my job, I’m bored with my friends, I’m bored with my relationship. None of these things give me any excitement anymore.

He has always been the type of person who needs a ‘rush’ in life. Maybe he is a little bit of an adrenaline junkie, but his GAD stops him from doing many things in life.

He goes around being so uneasy, frustrated, angry, irritated because of the lack of excitement in his life.. usually takes it out on me because he’s bored of our relationship... and breaks up with me. It’s extrenelh hard. I don’t know if anything of the above can resonate with anxiety but please do let me know your opinion.

Thank you x

It sounds more like depression to be honest.

I get very bored with my depression and look for anything to perk me up, like buying something expensive or having a glass of wine

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    GAD is more the opposite. As a GAD sufferer myself it's more constant low level anxiety symptoms when I have it in control. At the worst it takes over my life everyday until I get to a point of recovery where it is more in the background.
    That sentence could not be more me! At the moment it's taking over but I know eventually it'll go back to the background.

I find myself wanting to be excited just to get rid of the excess adrenaline!

I am constantly in need for excitement too but mine comes in rather an expensive way,
    moving house!! as soon as I get settled I start thinking about finding something nicer to buy
    Thought I had the answer for my interest in property by becoming an estate agent, that
    that did not work either, If somebody wanted a house in my Rd I would do a swop with them
    How about twenty six houses in forty years,?
    What do I think,? it is in my make up , so patience, if you can manage it,----very hard I'm afraid

Quote Originally Posted by welsh girl View Post
    I am constantly in need for excitement too but mine comes in rather an expensive way,
    moving house!! as soon as I get settled I start thinking about finding something nicer to buy
    Welsh girl you sound just like my other half. No sooner are we moved and the next house is being thought of. She's on Rightmove daily. I keep all the moving cartons in the loft because I know that day will come around again. It's just the sheer expense of it all that puts a brake on things. If we won the lottery we'd have a new house every few months! I think it's probably down to low mood. 'If I had this other house I'd be happy'. Sadly of all the houses we have lived in she says she hasn't liked any of them. Unfortunately it seems to be a never ending cycle. I guess anti-depressants may help. Perhaps anyone in this situation should be checked out for depression?

Hi Tyke Try and work it that you make a profit on your sales to cover the costs,
    I can recommend a good estate agent !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by welsh girl View Post
    Hi Tyke Try and work it that you make a profit on your sales to cover the costs,
    I can recommend a good estate agent !!!!!!
    Great advice Welsh girl! She is actually very good at spotting a bargain. The only reason we've moved so often is she knows exactly what is a good price and what can be done once purchased to increase its value. She also considered becoming an estate agent, but I know that didn't help you much and I think she'd find the same!

It was the best job I ever had, I think moving house becomes an obsession, my business partner died over night. so decided to sell up, not a good move!
    Anyway last move coming shortly (I hope)
    My Husband has learned to live with it and does now actually like it LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information