Thread: Tongue worries and HA

Tongue worries and HA

I have posted on here many times and found sanity!

The HA has never gone despite doing cbt and counselling but I am trying really hard to overcome it. It’s worse since my husband died.

I have lots of symptoms. The one prominent at the moment is with my mouth. I am continually asking for reassurance from my GP and my dentist who say that everything is normal. I have TMJ, geographic tongue and tingling and soreness in my tongue which comes and goes. Years ago I was diagnosed with hot tongue which would explain the pain. Today I was peering at my tongue and where the ridges at the side are from grinding it looks like two lighter patches in 2 the indents. My GP only looked at my mouth and tongue 2 weeks ago and the dentist 2 weeks before that.

I know I am being stupid but is there anyone who can reassure me? I would be ever so grateful.

Thank you
    Elizabeth

Re: Tongue worries and HA

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Fry View Post
    My GP only looked at my mouth and tongue 2 weeks ago and the dentist 2 weeks before that.

I know I am being stupid but is there anyone who can reassure me?
    The best reassurance is from the medical professionals that have examined you personally.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thank you for replying. You are right of course. Since my husband died and I am alone a lot of the time, I often find it difficult to get the right perspectives. I a m finding life so hard. My family would worry given what they are going through too.

It’s a wonder I am not banned from the doctors/dentist!

Thank you.
    Last edited by Elizabeth Fry; 21-08-18 at 11:56.

I’m sorry you’re having such a hard time with your anxiety, and I know how isolating it can be.

It is right that your reassurance is from your dentist and GP.

How about you stop looking at it for a while? I don’t know how often you check it every day, but start by cutting down. When you get the urge, go and do something else instead. But something enjoyable and consuming, not something miserable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a lovely reply Scass.

I am checking a lot, I have to admit, and it is absolute torture. It’s a funny condition to have because it really is a form of self-torture. And it’s looking at the same thing and expecting a different outcome ie for it to disappear. I find I go to the doctor with one symptom gain reassurance and then the next day I have something else that perhaps I didn’t notice before and then I hone in on that! Even though I know it is ridiculous.

It is isolating and shaming. How can you explain this level of distress to someone? I have tried many things eg mindfulness and although it helps it doesn’t help for long - perhaps I need to try harder?) I had such palpitations before I took 40 mgs of a betablocker ( prescribed by the GP). I try not to take stuff because of the side effects but sometimes it’s the only way.

Your advice to do something to distract myself is sound and I will give it a try. If you don’t mind my asking is there anything else you do which you find particularly helpful?

Thank you again.x

You can’t explain it to people who don’t have it. No matter how sympathetic they are. Forums like this can be a brilliant resource.

I’m not necessarily a checker, but I am a worrier. I found keeping a diary every day helped. Writing down your worries and thoughts is actually pretty hard, but if you get into aha it of doing it every day, you can start to look back at entries and see how far you’ve come.
    I am a big believer in relaxation through progressive muscle relaxation. Again it’s something you have to listen to every day for a while before it starts to sink in. When you’re in a worry spiral though, it’s so hard to concentrate on a relaxation method. So distraction is good for me; pick a few hobbies maybe? If I can get into a good book then that’s a winner for me every time. Sometimes i re-read books I’ve loved before. Or I may have a long bath (any time of day!), watch telly, immerse myself in pretty pictures on Instagram. Simple things that help to steer your mind away from whatever is ailing you x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Scass, what you have written is so helpful. You’ve got to be in this situation to realise how pervasive it is. When I notice something out of the ordinary I start getting obsessed by it. It’s actually akin to an addiction of sorts I am in a sort of stimulus and response situation - but you are suggesting breaking that response by doing something else.

It is impossible for me to have all the dire conditions I think I have - if I kept a diary I’d be able to see this perhaps. I am seeing the doctor tomorrow and am really worried I know I won’t sleep tonight but hopefully all will be fine and I’ll start the diary after that.

Thank you so much for responding in such a positive, caring way. I am really suffering at the moment and trying to keep my head above water so to speak and I am sure that what you’ve suggested I could try.x

Thread Information