Thread: New here, constant lung cancer fear

New here, constant lung cancer fear

Hi all. I regularly read this forum when I’m in need of reassurance, but this is my first time posting. I started getting health anxiety shortly after the birth of my daughter in 2016. I first started noticing an intermittent tightness or pulling feeling in the right side of my throat. It also felt like I had an air bubble trapped in my lower throat/right side chest area. I would put pressure on the right side of my chest (press it firmly) and it felt like there was definitely an air bubble or a fluidy like feeling trapped in this area.

I’ve also had an intermittent wheeze that feels like it’s only coming from the right side of my throat. Sometimes it feels like there’s swelling on the right side of my throat around my Adam’s apple. This has been going on since mid 2016 but more recently it feels like my symptoms are becoming worse. It is mostly all right sided. I feel like the air bubble/trapped fluid feeling is becoming more constant. I have a pretty much constant dull pain in the right side of my chest, and also in the same area in my back and shoulder blade. My ribs ache on the right side and also feel like there’s a massive bubble or something trapped there. The pain from my shoulder blade sometimes radiates down my right arm. Still wheezing however that comes and goes. Sometimes I notice it and sometimes I don’t. My wheeze is mainly when I lay down on my back. I also sometimes have heartburn of a night when I lay down to go to bed. I have a cough, but it’s mostly unproductive. Sometimes of a morning I cough a lot and will bring up phlegm, which has sometimes had streaks of blood in it. Constantly feel like I have

I don’t really have shortness of breath, and don’t really get tired or out of breath when exercising. I can still run up four flights of stairs at work. Haven’t lost weight if anything I have put weight on. 36 year old female, never smoked but have been exposed to second hand smoke as my mother smoked all my life. Blood tests have all come back normal. Also had CA 125 blood test as I have also been concerned about ovarian cancer an that came back fine as well. Doctor has listened my lungs and heard a slight crackle in my right lung but doesn’t think it’s anyhing to worry about. He has ordered an X-ray for me but I can’t work up the courage to go.

I am so worried this is lung cancer or cancer that has spread from my left ovary. I have awful hip pain when exercising and it sometimes wakes me from sleep. What do you guys think? Can GERD cause these symptoms on the right side? Please give me some reassurance. I’m a single mother and I cannot have lung cancer!

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:10 ----------

I should also mention I have pretty bad posture - could this have an effect on my lung? Also Cary my two year old on the right side so perhaps the pain I’m experiencing in my chest and back could be muscular? Doesn’t explain the wheeze or cough or trapped bubble/fluid sensation though. Sorry for the rambling I’m just driving myself a bit bat sh** crazy wondering what this could be ��

Re: New here, constant lung cancer fear

Considering your age and the fact that this has been going on 2 years I would think you'd have a chronic cough and substantial weight loss if you had LC. You wouldn't be able to run up 4 flights of stairs. I have reflux. It makes me cough in the mornings too and acid irritates the throat hence your throat problems. I think too your pain is probably muscular from carrying your child . I know it's all too easy to get in this spiral of worry but as an outsider I bet you're healthy albeit with a bit of reflux.
    Could you not go for your x-ray? It's so unlikely there's anything wrong but if there was they would contact you very quickly so after a couple of days of worry you'd get a massive feeling of relief. Then you could accept the result as long as you didn't Google. Sending positive thoughts

Thank you for your reply Katie I think my symptoms seem to get worse when I’m concentrating on them. I think I subconsciously tense up my right side too which could be causing the pain. I’m forever holding in my breath and squeezing my ribs and chest in where it hurts to see if I can feel a mass or something. I know lung cancer in a non smoker my age is rare but it does happen. Just so concerned that my right lung always feels congested. Hopefully it’s just the muscular pain that makes it seem that way but then again the doctor did hear a rattle in that lung when I was laying down and that terrifies me.

I always work up the courage to go for my X-ray, then I come up with an excuse to not go. I do know that sometimes x rays don’t pick up lung tumours but surely after two years if there was a mass it would show up. I drive myself silly sometimes.

Thanks again for the reassurance!

I really do think you'd have much more obvious symptoms after 2 years and yes symptoms do feel worse if you concentrate on them. Mine certainly so-called this evil anxiety!

Thread Information