Thread: A few odd throat/swallowing sensations and tight neck when turning my head

A few odd throat/swallowing sensations and tight neck when turning my head

Hey there,

My fairly recent obsession (since late Feb) has been my throat. A couple of years ago I had a short bout of acid reflux which I felt only behind my breastbone, but now I feel sensations in my throat which I find hard to describe.

Trapped air/feeling of needing to burp

This started when I was on a high fat diet and I could feel the sensation of the food in my throat just thinking about it. Sounds weird but I get this when I think about having a drink of coffee too. It feels like there is something stuck near my Adam's apple or just below sometimes. I've been obsessively swallowing saliva to check which seems to make things worse or it puts a strain on it as on those days my neck feels tight by the end of the day. The best way I can describe it is the sensation of just needing to clear a bit of air from there. It only seems to occur when I think about it too much. When I'm preoccupied with friends etc - I seem fine.

Also when I swallow saliva it seems to come straight back up after 10 secs as a burp.

Tightness when turning mostly to the right?

I've noticed when I turn my head at a 90° angle I can feel it in my neck as if there is some sort of tightness or that air bubble.

Click when pushing Adam's apple from the right

When I push my Adam's apple or perhaps my thyroid from the right I can feel a click. I've tried the swallowing test drinking water on front of a mirror with my head raised and I can see my thyroid raised slightly below my Adam's apple - I guess that's normal?

Click when swallowing very dry or large mouthfuls of food

This feels like a click just under my chin/jaw when I eat big mouthfuls or swallow with my head tilted down a bit, or dry food like granola without milk.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? I really don't want to go to the doctor if I can help it as I'm just becoming a nuisance there and I feel so silly asking about sensation after sensation. I just want to know if there are any frightening signs here that I need to pay attention to.

Thank you.

Re: A few odd throat/swallowing sensations and tight neck when turning my head

Anyone else?

I feel like my throat tightens the more I think about this and the more I swallow. The sensation gets worse the more I do that, and on days I don't think about it, for the most part it's not a problem (for 80%+ of the day).

Is this something I should be concerned about? Surely if it comes and goes then it's not serious? (Hopefully).

Thanks.

--

One more thing which is my bigger worry at the moment. When I press my thumbs in where the underside of my jaw meets my neck, I can feel a long hard "ridge" along my throat. Is that normal?
    Last edited by Jordan85; 23-06-17 at 12:41. Reason: Additional detal

Stop poking yourself, you WILL find things to worry about. I have this exact throats issue, but ONLY if I concentrate on it, so I know it's anxiety fuelled. Exactly the same, even down to the swallowing issues when my head is turned to the right. I don't reply a lot on these boards but you sound like you are about to go full blown cycle over your throat. I have lumpy bits on either side under jaw, assuming they are normal as have never been told different. Do you have allergies? Mine definitely got worse when my hay fever kicked in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mello View Post
    Stop poking yourself, you WILL find things to worry about.
    ^^THAT^^ Self examination and not knowing about normal human anatomy can be a dangerous thing for an HA sufferer.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks Mello and Fishmanpa.

Mello you have no idea how much you've helped, for the first time in months I've felt like everything is ok. I really appreciate you making the decision to step in and comment as you mentioned you don't normally reply on these boards. That choice you made has had a huge positive impact on me.

And Fishmanpa, as always you're here to help me see rational sense and talk me away from my dragon. I truly wish I had you on speed dial

Thanks everyone!

Thread Information