Thread: Swollen papillae under left side of the tongue

Swollen papillae under left side of the tongue

Obviously, I have been going through truly horrible HA flare up. It is one thing after another , day after day. Today I felt that left side of my tongue is somewhat sore; started looking with magnifying mirror, and noticed several (what looks like) papillae red, swollen. It is basically under the left side of my tongue, not on the side itself. Hard to explain. It looks a little bit like a trauma (like small red bruises), but, since it is under the tongue, I cannot figure out how could I have made it. I know that all my left side of the tongue is now hurting even more because I have been thinking about it and looking at it whole afternoon.

Piece of advice/sharing similar experience, highly appreciated and welcome.

p.s. Everything started flaring up since my mother died on June 30th. I was with her all these days before the death, and when she actually died.

Re: Swollen papillae under left side of the tongue

First off, truly sorry about your mother. I lost my Mom New Years Day 2017. My wife and I, who was just out of the hospital recovering from a severe illness and surgery, went to see her in the palliative care facility she was in. She was out and it certainly appeared she was not aware of anything. We said our goodbyes and she passed several hours later. I know how difficult that is :(

IMO, you're making something out of nothing. Who, under normal circumstances, self examines their tongue with a magnifying mirror for an entire afternoon, poking and prodding? Something irritated it at worst and that's really it

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Fishmanpa,

Thank you so much. Yes, the whole six months of her rapidly deteriorating health, with me as her only care giver, for sure was a lot. Plus, now I have been overcome with the feeling of guilt, and the whole nine yards that go with it.. you know what I mean. And my HA simply exploded.

As to my tongue side and all that , it does look like some irritation for sure. I am making myself stop looking, and will just rinse with warm salt water. I will wait for it to heal.

Thank you again, truly. You are always so nice , reassuring, comforting to talk to. We are happy and lucky to have you here, at the Forum.
    Last edited by Lana; 23-09-20 at 13:40.

So, in spite little calming down after Fishmanpa replied to me original post, today is worse for me. AT this point I do not know what normal under-the-tongue area looks like! I see various small bumps (papillae?), on my left side they look little bruised and larger, but I can barely see them on my right side. Went through the Forum's posts about tongue issues, and, needless to say, read about some very upsetting possibilities. I am freaking out, and I feel horrible, and scared. I managed to make appointment with my dentist for tomorrow. Please help, I just cry all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana View Post
    So, in spite little calming down after Fishmanpa replied to me original post, today is worse for me. AT this point I do not know what normal under-the-tongue area looks like! I see various small bumps (papillae?), on my left side they look little bruised and larger, but I can barely see them on my right side. Went through the Forum's posts about tongue issues, and, needless to say, read about some very upsetting possibilities. I am freaking out, and I feel horrible, and scared. I managed to make appointment with my dentist for tomorrow. Please help, I just cry all day.
    It's normal. I had it yesterday where one side under my tongue felt swollen, but I was eating crackers and hot soup at the time. I honestly don't know why it happens but I know I've had it many times in my life, and the fact that I'm still here should tell you something!

Sorry about your mother. Been there. I blame my mother for my nervous breakdown as it was her sudden death which caused it - five years later - but the symptoms started the night she died.

The death of a parent is one of the most stressful things you will go through and stress equals anxiety which equals physical symptoms and hyper-focusing on our bodies. Your mother's death has spooked you. It's rocked your own mortality, and this is normal.

There is nothing wrong with your tongue.

Also, I do know - from past HA checking - that what is underneath the tongue is ugly lookin'.

I fully expect your dentist to put your mind at rest on this. X

Lana, I'm so sorry about your mum. The shock of losing a parent, whether it's sudden or not, is devastating. There's no other way of putting it. It's no wonder your anxiety is flaring up. Your mind is going to be all over the place for a while and if you suffer from any kind of anxiety then it's nearly to be expected that it will get worse for a while. But it will start to calm again

I hope everything went ok with the dentist. I'm sure it did and I have my fingers crossed that he has given you the reassurance you desperately need right now. I'm also worried about the under side of my tongue at the moment. I think mine is more on the floor of my mouth on the right hand side. I can feel a lump with my tongue and it's terrifying me. I can also feel one on the left but it's so much smaller. Not sure if it has always been there but I'm trying so hard to stay calm. I'll be going to see my doctor next week and I'm hoping she knows enough about the mouth to tell me what it is.

Hope you're feeling better anyway after your visit to the dentist. And sending you hugs about your mum

Dear NoraB & Brokengirl,

Thank you so very much for your kind and comforting replies. Everything went so well at the dentist ( thank God) - he even had hard times seeing what I was talking about ( it probably calmed down by the time he saw me). Yes, one thing less to worry, one obsession crossed away. I am trying to deal with my anxiety worsening, trying to see what I can do to stop my OCD. I just bought some high quality CBD oil, but did not try it yet. Hoping for the best

Quote Originally Posted by Lana View Post
    Dear NoraB & Brokengirl,

Thank you so very much for your kind and comforting replies. Everything went so well at the dentist ( thank God) - he even had hard times seeing what I was talking about ( it probably calmed down by the time he saw me). Yes, one thing less to worry, one obsession crossed away. I am trying to deal with my anxiety worsening, trying to see what I can do to stop my OCD. I just bought some high quality CBD oil, but did not try it yet. Hoping for the best
    CBD oil can be helpful, but the real work is in addressing your HA. If you don't, you will hop from one symptom to another. X

Thread Information