Thread: Coming off and drinking

Coming off and drinking

Hi,

I am new here but I wonder if anybody has any input on this.

I have been on Citalopram for over a year now. I started off on 10mg and increased to 20mg.

About one month ago, I decided that I wanted to stop. I don't feel much better, but not as bad as about a year ago, and I don't want to take medication for the rest of my life.

While on C., I noticed that I was way less tolerant to alcohol than I used to be.

A few days ago, I had some drinks. I couldn't tell how many - it was a fair bit, but nothing that should get me eccessively drunk. However, I was. I got very sick, and the next day I had to call in sick work (really embarrassing, and first time I called in sick because of a hangover!). I still feel hungover and pretty down two days after.

Risking that it may be a stupid question, but does anybody have any experience of coming off Citalopram and excessive hangovers?

Re: Coming off and drinking

I think it does make people less tolerant to alcohol, so it's best to drink only in moderation while you're on the meds.

When you feel you're ready to come off, take it nice and slow to minimise the risk of withdrawal effects. Your doctor will advise you on how to taper off.

Re: Coming off and drinking

Thanks for your reply.

I was not very clear in my first post: I am off completely already. After speaking to my GP, I went down to 10mg, then after a week or two only 10 every other day, then 10mg every three days, and I have been off completely now for about 10 days.

Thread Information