Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IBS help

IBS help

I suffer from IBS and I just wanted to check with those of you who do my symptoms and my HA is making me think horrible thoughts (stomach/pancreatic cancer).

I have a pain under my left ribs towards the middle of my tummy, it is a stabbing pain, more a dull pain and I keep feeling that my ribs are sticking into something - it's just weird not sure how to describe it sorry.

I also have been getting really bad indigestion recently, does anyone get this with their IBS.

I also have a bad taste in my mouth especially when I yawn or breathe deeply - is this IBS related?

Sorry for going on, but I am in the middle of a panic and don't want to google cancer symptoms as we all know what will happen if I do!

Thanks guys x

Re: IBS help

Yes hun all the things you mention are IBS SYMPTOMS ....Try some Buscopan ,they will really help with the muscle spasms that are causing the pain under the ribs and get things working properly ...Take care Sue x

Ok so I have just eaten and got indigestion straight away, I also have pain under my left shoulder blade...starting to panick about pancreatic cancer now...the pain under my left ribs is still there too...sob

Hi Mondie, sorry your HA is exasberating your IBS at present.
    I too am living with IBS and cause of my anxiety issues my consultant took time to explain that when there are no physical abnormalities within the Colon, like no infections or inflamation etc then IBS is generally diagnosed, he even expalined that anxiety and depression, panic disorders can also cause the same symptoms of IBS.
    You will no doubt perhaps know that avoiding certain foods can help control IBS symptoms.
    But at suzy-sue has suggested get your GP to prescribe you Buscopan (it really does help), it is a anti-spasmodic but also acts as a pain killer too, and also helps bring some normality to your bowel habbits!
    My consultant also assures me that IBS itself is not life=threatening, I thought at first that I may get cancer of the Colon but he tells me I am no more likely to get cancer of the Colon than somebody without IBS has !

Hope this helps but the magic word is "BUSCOPAN"

I think maybe Mr Spock had the right idea that human emotions have many flaws and are very unpredictable Live Long & Prosper

Diagnosed With Following Under Mental Health

Severe Depression
    Generalised Anxiety Disorder
    Panic Disorder
    Borderline Personality Disorder
    Agoraphobia

Physical Health Diagnosis's

Type 2 Diabetes
    Blood Clotting Disorder
    Lymphoedema
    Asthma
    Sleep Apnoea

Hi, i get this too. Im on edge every meal time, i wake up with the dull ache under my left ribs into the centre. I have a horrible taste in my mouth 24/7, like a sour, salty, metallic taste. My GP has said i have slight IBS, but has put it mainly down to Acid Reflux, i am currently on Lansoprazole once a day for 4 weeks, today is day 3, and so far no change. Sometimes it feels like a tight band underneath both ribs from right to left. I also have problems when trying to sleep, i feel like a ball of air is coming up into my chest and throat, very slowly, then it disappears in my throat and then it starts over again. I do not eat fatty foods, drink sugary drinks or smoke. I sometimes get pressure in my neck and ears as well when the air is coming up into my chest and throat. I drink 8 - 10 glasses of water a day to try and dilute the food content. It makes me constantly on edge and people (family & friends) who dont suffer from this dont understand how much it affects a persons life. All i know is that i cant live like this, its taking over my body and mind, the whole anxiety issues. I hope things get better for you and me lol! xx

Hi Mondie
    I also have IBS, was diagnosed 10 years ago so I can relate to the things you are describing. I hope I can reassure you a bit from my own experinces and also from those in my job as a radiographer where I spend a great deal of my time doing GI studies and consequently know quite a bit about the workings of our tums!
    What I have had to come to realise from my own IBS is that it can cause you symptoms at any point in in your digestive system, from your mouth right down to the very end (can't think of a nice way to put it lol!) Symptoms in all of these areas can be wide ranging, bizarre, and feel completely unrelated to your gut, but they often are. Indigestion is extremely common, even in those who don't have IBS and especially straight after eating as that is when your stomach is getting into action so that is certainly related to your IBS. A bad taste in the mouth is also common of IBS and is also closely related to indigestion because of the larger amount of acid in your stomach at that time, so that is related to your IBS too.
    I know how scary the symptoms in your chest and back can be - I have had them too. I have a wonderful Gp and she explained to me that spasms in the oesophagus can cause pain in other areas of your chest, even at the back as it runs quite close to the spine as it goes down to your stomach so this could be what you are experiencing also. I hope this reassures you a little.
    I don't like Buscopan myself, though it does work. I use Colofac (mebeverine hydrochloride) which you can get from your GP or over the counter. I find I don't get as many side effects with this and it really helps the pains.

I hope this has been a little helpful!

i was getting pain with ibs but now i have lowered my ha the ibs have allmost gone what have worked wounders for me is lepicol capsules you take them 2-8 caps twice a day 20 mins before food but i only take 3 caps a once day i just can/t believe the change in myself and my bowels you get these for your local heath shop 18 quid for 180 caps it was money well spent i hope this helps as i said i can/t believe the change in myself and my ibs take care steve

Thanks for all the replies. I am still struggling with the pain in my stomach and can't let my self believe it is my IBS; I am convinced it's something more sinister.

My doctor has prescribed omsoprazole and rantindine to try and sort out the acid reflux, but so far they haven't made any difference - how long should they take to work?

Hi. I've had IBS for 18 years. I've had all the tests including colonoscopy and barium meal and follow through. I'm on omeprazole which I found starts working from day one. Also on Colofac MR, Buscopan and Domperidone. I know how you feel as this has bought misery to me for a long time. The doctors keep trying me on low dose antidepressants as these are really meant to help with IBS but unfortunately I very sensitive to the sedating effects of them. As frustrating as it is to hear but try and chill and not worry too much as this can makes things worse. I know this is easier said than done though. Keep Happy

not to put a downer on things here but the buscopan thing. yeah it works well for the ibs and settles it down well. but as a ha sufferer after i started taking buscopan my heart flutters and skipped beats became more frequent. i returned to my doctor with my problem and he took me straight off buscopan and after consulting his little side effects book found they were one of the side effects. i know different things work differently for different people its just as someone who has had an adverse reaction that i should let you know what happened to me

louise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information