Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scared of QT prolongation

Scared of QT prolongation

I have a script for celexa but I've read a lot of bad about this drug. Im scared of having reaction lime the long at syndrome or some other issue with my heart. Should I request another med that doesn't cause heart issues?

Re: Scared of QT prolongation

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

You have been googling again haven't you?

It is up to you what you do - we can't tell you what med to take

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

It looks like it's the only med to do this is why I ask.

---------- Post added at 23:14 ---------- Previous post was at 23:13 ----------

I didn't post in this section because no one ever responds...

There are loads of posts and replies in here and you are asking about this medication so this is the medication sub-forum for it.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo27 View Post
    It looks like it's the only med to do this is why I ask.

---------- Post added at 23:14 ---------- Previous post was at 23:13 ----------

I didn't post in this section because no one ever responds...
    I disagree - members do respond to meds posts - I do. The problem I find is that many OPs don't reply with an update/outcome

Re your question. Citalopram can cause QT prolongation at high doses which is why the max dose was reduced from 60 to 40mg.

You are safe unless you OD on it.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Why don't you update us on all your ailments and what is happening and how come you are now prescribed this medication.

You were dying of many cancers and all sorts so it would be good if you took the time to update previous posts to reassure others that nothing sinister was found.

You won't get as many replies hence why many a HAer will post everything on there I suspect.

As KK says, it's a matter of dosage. Up to 40mg is considered safer but beyond that the risk is not only much higher but outweighs the benefits as >40mg showed it did very little more anyway.

And no, QT prolongation is mentioned in many of these drugs. But the point is it only matters if you have a risk due to an existing condition. Considering doctors don't actually test for it suggests that risk is very low.

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Why don't you update us on all your ailments and what is happening and how come you are now prescribed this medication.

You were dying of many cancers and all sorts so it would be good if you took the time to update previous posts to reassure others that nothing sinister was found.
    Well to update everyone I haven't been diagnosed with anything sinister I did have a full mri of my entire spine which was normal besides some degenerative changes in the cervical spine. My chiari malformation has gotten a little worse but nothing too serious. I actually am finally seeing a neurosurgeon to see if I will require surgery. From my research most of my symptoms can be caused by the chiari. The past week I have been a wreck honestly.. Crying for no reason getting episodes of impending doom and just feeling panicky for no reason at all its so miserable. Do you all think the celexa will help with those symptoms? It's 10 mg to start I'm just so afraid to start it...

Why not give a go and see? You are starting on a sensible half dose of the minimum therapeutic dose which should reduce potential side effects.

I'm not a HAer but starting these meds was hard for me because I have always been symptom focussed even if I know it's anxiety. The thought of making that worse or just the unknown is hard to get beyond. Sometimes you just have to bite down and try. Accept it may get harder at first but you will pass through to the other side of that and then the work can begin. The alternative is carrying on as you are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information