Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twitching Finger has set me off.

Twitching Finger has set me off.

Hello everybody. Pretty recently has been a rather stressful time, and I've been getting through it, however something small's sent my anxiety spiralling off. Last friday, I started to notice a small, occasional twitch in my left index finger.

It was very slight and occasional, and I didn't think much of it except that it continued to occur. On Sunday, it really started to make me worry as it was still there. On Monday, it relented mostly, and occurred perhaps 3 times throughout the day. Tuesday saw it get far more common (to the point where I went to bed and jolted myself awake when I Suddenly felt like my chest was going to burst and yesterday I woke up during the early hours in a panic, feeling incredibly hot and all my skin prickly and slightly numb in some places. Through yesterday it was much the same as it was on Tuesday, whilst today it has luckily seemed to have stopped. Anyway, this has caused me to worry to no end about all the horrible possibilities associated with a twitch, namely MS and ALS. Since noticing it I've began to feel all my joints and muscles ache from activity. Even though the twitching has stopped in my finger, whilst using it on the keyboard I occasionally feel some weakness in it. This has come out of nowhere, and I am truly terrified. I'm 19 and fear that I'm already facing something this awful. I know my family (to the best of my knowledge) has no history of these conditions (although I do not know to what extent they are hereditary). First the twitching, combined with the experience of waking up early and now the occasional weakness I feel in my finger after the twitching has subsided- and not to mention the sudden aching I've been experiencing really has me beside myself. I've been checking my calf muscles, to the point where even looking at them sets off my anxiety.

I appreciate that I'm treading a long and dark path worrying about these things, and don't particularly want to see a doctor if it can be helped, but I don't know what to do.
    Last edited by Sollace; 06-07-17 at 15:24.

Re: Twitching Finger has set me off.

As far as I know that's a pretty common anxiety symptom, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've had constantly twitching/trembling fingers (like theyre just comstantly shaking/moving on their own I cant stop them) and no doctor so far payed any attention to it so I try not to think about it too much.

Twitching is not ALS . And as far as we akness goes if u can pick your nose or hold a spoon with the twitch8ng f8nger and your thumb you don't have true weakness. Stop worrying about ALS because doing that is only going to make you twitch more. You are 19 and the odds of you having a rare disease like that are astronomical. Enjoy your life !

I'd just like to get back to thank everybody for their reassuring words.

I've taken to constantly comparing movement between my left index finger (the one with the twitch) and my right index finger, and am terrified because I think movement in it is a bit more stiff than in my right hand (wagging it required my left middle finger to raise more than my right one) I am right handed, so I am unsure if this is to be expected. Nontheless, it has me worried and I'm terrified it could worsen. I'm meant to be going for a day out tomorrow, yet I am certain this is going to ruin it.

In ALS you do t think that your muscles aren't working properly. It's very obvious something is wrong. Nothing is symmetrical when it comes to the human body. Stop freaking out and testing yourself because you will find something that's going to freak you out. Something normal that you just never noticed before. Calm down and don't get lost in this fear it is not fun and can ruin years of your life. Best thing to do with twitching is ignore it. And if you aren't exercising or lifting weights do so immediately. It really helps.

Sollace I've personally seen ALS in 4 people, it's ugly.

It's not a twitching or stiff finger.

Hello everybody, just posting again because I noticed today that despite the twitching seemingly having disappeared, when touching the left side of my index finger (the direction it twitched in) I am convinced it feels slightly numb. If I close my eyes and poke it with a pencil, I can immediately tell when the pencil touches- but it definitely feels almost soft (this is the best I can describe it as). I am also still convinced that movement with my left index finger is stiff somewhat. Maybe I am imagining it, but it seems like I can't wag it as fast as my right index finger.

I'm very sorry I keep on posting, and I do appreciate the reassurance I am getting, but I simply cannot stop worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollace View Post
    Hello everybody, just posting again because I noticed today that despite the twitching seemingly having disappeared, when touching the left side of my index finger (the direction it twitched in) I am convinced it feels slightly numb. If I close my eyes and poke it with a pencil, I can immediately tell when the pencil touches- but it definitely feels almost soft (this is the best I can describe it as). I am also still convinced that movement with my left index finger is stiff somewhat. Maybe I am imagining it, but it seems like I can't wag it as fast as my right index finger.

I'm very sorry I keep on posting, and I do appreciate the reassurance I am getting, but I simply cannot stop worrying.
    You're spiraling with all the self-examination. People twitch and it's a VERY common anxiety symptom. Maybe put on some gloves or something to stop you from messing with your hands.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I don't know how this might sound to you but maybe try a fidget spinner. Apparently they've helped people with this issue lol

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    You're spiraling with all the self-examination. People twitch and it's a VERY common anxiety symptom. Maybe put on some gloves or something to stop you from messing with your hands.

Positive thoughts
    Thanks for your response. I suppose a part of me is terrified that this is it presenting itself, and I dread waking up one day soon and finding all use of my finger has gone. My finger's starting to feel sore, no doubt from the constant examination and cracking it, but a part of me worries that is it developing. Also, I feel I should thank you as your posts both here and at anxiety zone have provided me with a great deal of consolation during difficult times.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackrabbit View Post
    I don't know how this might sound to you but maybe try a fidget spinner. Apparently they've helped people with this issue lol
    I haven't thought about this at all, it's worth a try, I suppose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information