Page 569 of 717 FirstFirst ... 69469519559567568569570571579619669 ... LastLast
Results 5,681 to 5,690 of 7166

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum123 View Post
    At £1 billion cost to the economy per day, not sure we can afford a lockdown.
    And what point do they serve? If we don't trust vaccination then what's the point? Rising numbers may not translate into rising serious illness.

Javid seems to have contradicted himself a bit in tonight's briefing.

He suggests daily Covid cases could reach 100k this winter but still has no immediate plans to introduce Plan B, plus the govt have reiterated today that there's still no plans for any further national lockdowns either (which aren't part of Plan B anyway).

Strangely that newer variant that was mentioned yesterday, itself a sub-variant of Delta, that was reportedly first discovered in this country earlier in the summer, has barely received any attention in today's headlines.

Lockdowns are no longer a viable option. We are now at a point that the damage they can and will cause will outweigh the damage caused by a virus that we are now strongly vaccinated against. There is also a very large portion of our population who have naturally acquired immunity via infection.

The longer we run and hide, the lower that immunity becomes. The damage to the economy, mental health and children’s education must now take priority. Lockdowns were only ever a stall until we had jabs in arms. We have that now. It’s time for lockdowns to become a memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    Lockdowns are no longer a viable option. We are now at a point that the damage they can and will cause will outweigh the damage caused by a virus that we are now strongly vaccinated against. There is also a very large portion of our population who have naturally acquired immunity via infection.

The longer we run and hide, the lower that immunity becomes. The damage to the economy, mental health and children’s education must now take priority. Lockdowns were only ever a stall until we had jabs in arms. We have that now. It’s time for lockdowns to become a memory.
    I kind of agree with you Gary, especially as deaths and hospitalisations are still well down on what they were at the beginning of this year when the jabs were only just starting to be rolled out.

The only real hindrance right now is those who are still unvaccinated, especially the ones who are fully able to get the jabs but still refuse point blank to (excessive fear and disabilities preventing vaccination aside) and would much rather revel in the silliness and conspiracy theories instead!

However, 'Get Covid jabbed or restrictions more likely' is Javid's slogan on the BBC website following tonight's briefing, which is basically what I said earlier should be a warning/ultimatum from the govt.

Let's hope come December that jabs alone are enough to manage Covid.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Let's hope come December that jabs alone are enough to manage Covid.
    Obviously if it’s just completely spiralling out of control then other options can be explored, but I’m honestly getting a little confused by the idea of December being this big moment. By then more people will be vaccinated, more boosters in the arms of those deemed clinically vulnerable and of course there will be more natural immunity than there is now due to consistently high infection levels.

Personally I think we need to find better ways of controlling infection levels. Better ventilation in crowded indoor areas, for example. That may cost certain industries a lot of money but surely it isn’t going to cost as much as halting production for months on end.

Obviously if it’s just completely spiralling out of control then other options can be explored, but I’m honestly getting a little confused by the idea of December being this big moment. By then more people will be vaccinated, more boosters in the arms of those deemed clinically vulnerable and of course there will be more natural immunity than there is now due to consistently high infection levels.

Personally I think we need to find better ways of controlling infection levels. Better ventilation in crowded indoor areas, for example. That may cost certain industries a lot of money but surely it isn’t going to cost as much as halting production for months on end.
    To do that it's going to take 1) Grant incentives 2) proof it saves them money in absences or 3) responsible owners. Number 3 is one I'm always sceptical about unless there is some positive brand incentive.

That all takes time. It's on for beyond 2023.

Something worth us remembering. From the BBC Covid page:

The UK Health Security Agency, which replaced Public Health England, estimates that, up to 24 September, the UK vaccination programme has prevented about 24 million infections, 260,000 hospitalisations and 127,500 deaths

[QUOTE=MyNameIsTerry;2024647]Something worth us remembering. From the BBC Covid page:[/QUOTE

How do they come up with these figures though?

The reality is though that things aren't going to plan and vaccination alone is not enough.

Page 569 of 717 FirstFirst ... 69469519559567568569570571579619669 ... LastLast

Thread Information