Thread: Has anyone been taking Clonazapam for a while?

Has anyone been taking Clonazapam for a while?

Just curious as to what dosage helps you? Do you take any other medications-like SSRI's or anything with it. I just want to feel like i'm not along in this anxiety journey. I'm scared of the time when I need to stop the clonazepam and that it's going to be hell getting off of it. I just need it right now to function. I also take Celexa.

Re: Has anyone been taking Clonazapam for a while?

Hi Ethansmom. I am in a very similar situation. I started on valium and have been changed over to clonazapam. I have been on 2mg of clonazepam since November last year. Sertraline pooped out and I have tried Nortriptaline, but it doesn't seem to be working, either that or the dose isn't effective. I take .5mg about 8am, .5mg at 2pm and the remainder when I go to bed. I am my calmest at night so could probably start reducing the night dose. Right now I am tapering off the remainder of the Sertraline, it has been a bit of a yoyo with this med. I am at 25mg and the anxiety is quite bad and I am feeling naseaus and unbalanced today. I don't think now is the right time to drop any of the clonazepam. It will probably suck when the time comes to come off it, but people have been on it for years and have managed to come off it. I think the trick is to do it super slowly. I try not to worry about it right now, as it is a wasteful exercise. You will know when you are ready to come off it (along with your psych) and come up with a taper schedule. The main thing is that you are functioning at the moment. In my book it is better to take the medication and be able to function, than not coping because the medication is inadequate. Trust your doctor and try not to worry about the clonazepam at this stage...you are only making your anxiety worse and worrying about it, isn't going to be doing you any good. You are not alone. My situation is very similar. Unfortunately we just have to take each day as it comes and hope for the best. Take care. Tracy xx

If you have been reading the other threads, people have been on klonopin 9 years without changing the dosage. The doc has no reason to take you off it now.

---------- Post added at 13:28 ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 ----------

Of all the benzos, klonopin is said to be the least painful to wean off. It stays in the system a longer time than others but is not as quick acting as say xanax.

Thank you Mermaid and KB for responding. You are right. I am wasting my mental energy worrying about the Klonopin and when the time comes my psychiatrist will work with me to come off of it. I think I've been on it for about 3 months straight now. Before that it was Xanax for 4 months. This is all due to my panic disorder and anxiety. I do see a therapist and i'm currently taking Celexa (it's been almost 8 weeks now, so I'm hoping it will kick in any time now).

I usually take 1MG of Klonopin in the morning and 1MG at around 3PM. That's what seems to work best for me. So I guess when the time comes I'll probably shave off part of the afternoon dose. But, I won't think about that right now!!!! Good luck to us all, and mermaid please keep me posted on your progress.
    xx

HI
    I have been on and off clonazapam for the last few years and just got myself down to .25 mgs at bedtime but I am not doing well at all. I have started Clomipramine and my doc wants me to go back up to .5 mgs of clonazapam twice a day.
    I cried, I have worked so hard to come off it once again.
    I will do what he says and I hope it helps me like it once did.
    Anxiety is so cruel.
    Mugs

I understand your pain. I take 2MG of Clonazapam a day in a addition to citalopram. I think the citalopram is working a bit, but not as much as I had hoped.

I've been on clonazepam for six months now was on 1mg at day but have tapered down to .5mg successfully. I've get quite bad withdrawals each time I do a cut for a couple of days but its bearable. Been doing it at a quarter of a tablet a day.

Thread Information