Thread: Severe colon cancer fears, please advise

Severe colon cancer fears, please advise

Hi, I'm a 38 year old male. In 2013 I went to the gastro for constipation issues with white mucus. Had been happening for about a month. Gastro told me she was certain I was ok, but finally agreed to give me a colonoscopy to calm me down. It was all clear.

Five years later, I've been dealing with similar issues for eight months now. Constipation, mucus, constant CONSTANT gurgling, achy pain in my side, foul-smelling flatulence. I still have a bowel movement almost every day (sometimes it skips one day), but from the appearance of my stool I'm clearly constipated most of the time. Sometimes it looks.....old? That's the only way I know how to describe it. I went back to the gastro and told her I was afraid of colon cancer again. She smiled and said "that's not something you need to worry about. You're well under 50 and you had a totally clean colonoscopy five years ago. Polyps take years to grow, and they they take years to become cancerous, which they rarely ever do. That's why we recommend screening every ten years. Your blood tests came back fine, and you also had no inflammation markers. You have IBS." She was so confident she even refused to do a barium swallow because "it would only make me more anxious waiting for it".

But I'm still dealing with it. I felt almost suicidal the other month. Could she be wrong? My stomach is gurgling as I'm typing this. This can't be IBS, right? No way IBS would last this long, right?

Re: Severe colon cancer fears, please advise

It most certainly can last this long. I am 41 and IBS flares up whenever I have stress or anxiety. I was diagnosed at 16 with it. I've had a "nervous stomach" since I was very little. My mom tells me how it would affect my bowels when I was anxious about leaving for school or doing something that scared or intimidated me.

So yes, it can last this long. If you had a clear colonoscopy, I wouldn't worry at all!! Where are you experiencing pains and what do they feel like? I'm just curious...

Also, here's a description off of a site about IBS:

Irritable Bowel Syndrome:
    Irritable bowel syndrome is quite a common long-term condition that affects the large intestines and can cause slimy poop. It can also cause bloating, flatulence and abdominal cramping. It is usually life-long and its exact cause is not known. However, its symptoms can be properly managed.
    Last edited by Mom2FourKiddos; 29-11-18 at 15:59.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2FourKiddos View Post
    It most certainly can last this long. I am 41 and IBS flares up whenever I have stress or anxiety. I was diagnosed at 16 with it. I've had a "nervous stomach" since I was very little. My mom tells me how it would affect my bowels when I was anxious about leaving for school or doing something that scared or intimidated me.

So yes, it can last this long. If you had a clear colonoscopy, I wouldn't worry at all!! Where are you experiencing pains and what do they feel like? I'm just curious...

Also, here's a description off of a site about IBS:

Irritable Bowel Syndrome:
    Irritable bowel syndrome is quite a common long-term condition that affects the large intestines and can cause slimy poop. It can also cause bloating, flatulence and abdominal cramping. It is usually life-long and its exact cause is not known. However, its symptoms can be properly managed.
    Mostly my pain is on my right side and lower back. It's sore and achy when it happens. My gastro said "well, that's because all the poop is backed up". She also told me if this were anything deadly serious, I'd know by now.

Maybe this is IBS? This all started literally the day after I was embarrassed publicly doing hosting duties in front of a large audience the night before. But I'm over it. Why has it lasted this long?

I've had the right sided pains for over a year now. A year and 1 month to be exact. I think they keep happening and all the physical issues keep happening because there is still stress about the symptoms. Something set it off, and the anxieties just tend to keep spiraling different directions and all over the place.

I do notice all of my physical symptoms get worse when I'm having anxiety about anything. Doesn't matter what it is. Logically a sane minded person would know that all the physical issues were because of the mental stresses, but anyone with health anxiety will second-guess and over-analyze every little teeny tiny detail. And I think that just exacerbates all of the physical symptoms even more.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2FourKiddos View Post
    I've had the right sided pains for over a year now. A year and 1 month to be exact. I think they keep happening and all the physical issues keep happening because there is still stress about the symptoms. Something set it off, and the anxieties just tend to keep spiraling different directions and all over the place.

I do notice all of my physical symptoms get worse when I'm having anxiety about anything. Doesn't matter what it is. Logically a sane minded person would know that all the physical issues were because of the mental stresses, but anyone with health anxiety will second-guess and over-analyze every little teeny tiny detail. And I think that just exacerbates all of the physical symptoms even more.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Do you get the constant gurgling as well?

Quote Originally Posted by jmphipps0428 View Post
    Do you get the constant gurgling as well?
    Yes, I attribute it to my anxiety and coffee . My stomach has always been on the noisier side. Some days are worse than others.

Let me find a video link to post for you. I have two teenaged daughters who LOVE to make fun of my stomach noises. My oldest told me my stomach sounded like part of a Snoop Dog song...let me grab the link...

The sound starts at 3 seconds into the song and ends at 20 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaCodgL9cvk

Last edited by Mom2FourKiddos; 29-11-18 at 18:14.

Thread Information