Thread: A change in my wierd symptoms

A change in my wierd symptoms

Hi all, I have had heart palpitations for years now. I have accepted that they are just part of who I am, but I still find them annoying. I also have what I call a "whoopsie do" for lack of a better term. When they happen I feel like I am in a pressure chamber, I get a bit of tunnel vision, the light looks dimmer, and things sound "thick." I have had these for a while now too and think they are likely from stress or perhaps the vagal nerve. I have hiatial hernia and do tend to lean forward when I am on my computer which I think puts pressure on that nerve.

Anyway, just a bit ago I was talking on the phone to my son and all of a sudden I felt that tell-tale pressure but instead of everything getting dimmer, it got brighter. Like the other "whoopsie dos" it lasted about a minute, perhaps a tad bit longer, it is hard to tell. But I just started taking deep breaths and it went away. But not before it scared me. My face got all hot and my heart rate went up a bit, but not more than 96 bpm. My normal is 84 bpm. I gave it a couple of minutes and went and laid down for a while and things are back to normal, but the change in that one symptom (everything light rather than dark) made me freak out a bit. Oh, and my chest felt odd for a few seconds after that, but once I was breathing better, it went away too. And I should say that I do get chest pains that go away with stretches, a trick I learned from here, so I don't think they are heart related.

I have been more anxious of late, and I am a grad school student and it is finals week, I am working on writing papers right now. Part of me wants to go to the hospital and demand tests, but the reality is that I have no insurance or income and I have Multiple Chemical Sensitivity so the scented products they use in the hospital would make me even sicker, so I really don't want to go to the ER. To be honest, I don't think the symptoms warrant it, I am just alone and scared. Any thoughts? Anyone else have the symptoms where things get lighter?

Re: A change in my wierd symptoms

Eyes are sensory organs, stress affects your sensory organs an causes all sorts of physiological changes. It’s likely that your pupils are dilating when stressed now, so light appears brighter. This is all part of the flight or fight response, and it’s quite normal for symptoms to evolve sometimes.

When I feel my worst, my heart rate goes up over 100, I feel faint and my eyes feel like they gloss over, light seems brighter and, even though things are clear, I still feel like I’m seeing somewhat blurry.

Have you been tested at all in the past? While feeling any of this?

Only once a long time ago, like at least five years. I had similar symptoms only the light part was different. I went to the ER and they looked me over and discharged me with some kind of syncope. I can't remember the word before syncope. But that was it. I have never liked doctors, and I have zero income because I am disabled and have no insurance. So, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Hears The Water View Post
    Only once a long time ago, like at least five years. I had similar symptoms only the light part was different. I went to the ER and they looked me over and discharged me with some kind of syncope. I can't remember the word before syncope. But that was it. I have never liked doctors, and I have zero income because I am disabled and have no insurance. So, yeah.
    Pre-syncope

Thread Information