Thread: Sertraline - my journey so far

Sertraline - my journey so far

I've spent a lot of time lurking on these boards recently after the worst episode of depression/anxiety in my life. I had been taking prozac for about 10 years, slowly weaned off but the anxiety came back after a few months.
    I tried to restart prozac (20mg) but it did not go well. I had what felt like a 3 week long panic attack. At times, I could do nothing but lie on the floor, shaking uncontrollably, for hours.

I went into hospital after that, where the psychiatrist started me on sertraline. I started low at 25mg because of what happened with the prozac. Did a week at 25, 2 weeks at 50, 1 week at 75, 2 weeks at 100 and now it's week 7 I'm at 150mg.

I titrated up quickly but the psychiatrist believes that higher doses are needed for severe anxiety.

I had horrible side effects during the 2 weeks at 50mg. Increased anxiety (which did not seem possible) and depression with suicidal thoughts. I could not eat, I felt sick all the time and I had awful heartburn.

I didn't start having any good days until a week into 100mg (week 5). Since then, I've been improving overall but have still had some bad days. I do feel less anxious but I've had some depression and brain fog.

I'd read these forums and see people saying that sertraline takes a long time to work, but wonder if it would ever actually work for me. I'll keep this post updated as I go into my 8th week at 150mg.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Re: Sertraline - my journey so far

Update at week 8 ...
    I'm now in my second week of 150mg Zoloft. I was starting to feel better but today I'm pretty anxious. My Pdoc put me on Buspar but it didn't seem to do much.

So next I'm hoping to try pregabalin ...

Re: Sertraline - my journey so far

Update at Week 11

Still on 150mg. Just finished 4 weeks on this dose. It seems to be helping a little now. My anxiety isn’t gone but it’s better. Hoping I’ll see more improvements.
    I tried Gabapentin (lyrica is not generic / approved for anxiety here in the US) - it was good when i started at a low dose but when I increased due to tolerance I started to get very dizzy. I also read about withdrawals which sound horrific so I got scared and stopped it.

Thread Information