Thread: cant swallow anxiety?

cant swallow anxiety?

I cant figure out what is real and what is just anxiety. A lot of things I can deal with now from the first time I had this. But my throat is a scary symptom that I just cant believe its anxiety. I haven’t been able to eat right for years now and at the minute its the worst its ever been. I don’t no if I do have a problem or I’m just very anxious when I’m eating. But all I do is tell myself that its something serious.
    I don't no where to put myself when the worry sets in, and this starts the panic attacks. I shake and just wander backwards and forwards thinking the worst. I Strat to message someone for help and then I think no whats the point theres nothing no one can do and I just battle through it. And then when I do talk to someone I don’t really say much because its so hard to explain.
    Is this all really in my head? I want to believe it is so much but this time it is so extreme Im struggling to think anything positive.
    My throat is really effecting me at the minute from the minute I wake to the minute I go to sleep. If I could get over this one symptom I really do believe 90% of my anxiety would be gone, but I cant ever see this problem totally disappearing as I’ve had it for so long. Its so scary that I have massive panic attack and think I’m going to choke, but every time I get through it. But every time it happens it feels different and it really does bother me. I’ve never read anything about anyone with these symptoms and would really like to know if it could all be just anxiety.

Ive started taking the medication that helped last time and I really do hope that In months down the line I cant start rebuilding my life and get back on tack of my goals.
    Just at the minute I feel this is a million miles away and this problem with my throat is never going to end.
    Ive been through this before a year ago, but this symptom was no where near as strong as it is this time. However I did get the camera down and everything was normal.

Anyone been through anything similar ? Would very much appreciate any replies

Thanks a lot Ryan.

Re: cant swallow anxiety?

Hi Ryan have you been to a doctor? Have they had a look down your throat? Does it hurt to swallow or you can't can't bring yourself to swallow? Do you have problems swallowing liquids? I'm thinking if you can drink things maybe start with soups to keep your strength up. Then slowly increase to more solid food step by step?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

yes I've been to the doctors about it and ive had the camera down about a year or 2 ago and they couldn't see anything. its been going on for years but when I'm more anxious its worse. it doesn't hurt to swallow I'm just very anxious about swallowing and choking. I like to eat certain foods that I know I can eat. just cant ever see myself getting back to fully eating anything. thanks for replying appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmclean1723 View Post
    yes I've been to the doctors about it and ive had the camera down about a year or 2 ago and they couldn't see anything. its been going on for years but when I'm more anxious its worse. it doesn't hurt to swallow I'm just very anxious about swallowing and choking. I like to eat certain foods that I know I can eat. just cant ever see myself getting back to fully eating anything. thanks for replying appreciate it
    Your answer is in that statement, it's worse when you're anxious.
    I have a similar issue, mine is triggered by social anxiety or when general anxiety gets bad I just can't swallow my food, my throat closes and I need to chew and chew to swallow even the tiniest of crumbs. It's a very upsetting issue isn't it. I find certain foods more difficult, for example if I'm anxious i'll opt for fruit instead of bread. For the past few days I've had to live off apples and protein shakes! It's silly, but it's better than not eating, which will cause actual issues.
    I hope that's of a little help Mark.

I have had this many times over my life and successfully recovered whthbq combination of ssris for my anxiety and cbt . It will be horrible and uncomfortable as hell but the only way out is through. Have someone sit with you and then eat what it is that you need to eat (not safe foods) you will feel like you are being strangled most likely but stick with it and keep chewing it takes a lot of grit but after you keep exposing yourself in my experience the feeling goes away as the body/ brain realised it’s ok longer a threat

I still can’t eat out but I’m able to eat pretty much anything it does get better , I was like this for months convinced I had something wrong with my throat so I can sympathise 100%

I've had this. And yes it is just anxiety, I have it when I'm feeling particularly tense about something, also after working out, which I put down to the physiological stress of the workout mimicking anxiety (probably means I should lay off the work out too). I find it induces a feeling off panic but when that happens, I disassociate from the panic and take a sip of water. Helps a lot

Thread Information