Thread: What helped me during DP / DR episodes

What helped me during DP / DR episodes

Hi all. I haven't posted in a while as I tend not to lurk around here when I'm feeling well - although I find it comforting to know I'm not alone in this, I also find it allows me to focus more on the bad things I'm feeling.
    Anyway, my anxiety and panic attacks often manifested as DP/DR. This would sometimes last for weeks, and I know that we all know how terrifying it can be to be 'trapped' in that state.
    I enrolled on a Mindfulness course, not really hoping for much other than maybe some relaxation techniques. But since practising daily, I haven't experienced any feelings of not being real / not being in my body etc.
    Since the whole point of mindfulness is being here, now, in the present, being grounded it's been literally the perfect tonic for me and I wanted to suggest it to anyone else who suffers this horrid symptom.
    I'd read mindfulness books with no success but there was an 8 week course not too far from me which was taught by a retired GP & I believe they're country-wide so it's worth looking to see if one is being held near you, I think it was ran by BreathWorks. It involves daily meditation & dedicating some time during the day to 'do an activity mindfully' and then a group session once a week in the evening.
    I'm still battling anxiety but I'll take it over DP/DR any day.
    Just wanted to let people know it doesn't last forever

Re: What helped me during DP / DR episodes

Quote Originally Posted by Suziewuzie View Post
    Hi all. I haven't posted in a while as I tend not to lurk around here when I'm feeling well - although I find it comforting to know I'm not alone in this, I also find it allows me to focus more on the bad things I'm feeling.
    Anyway, my anxiety and panic attacks often manifested as DP/DR. This would sometimes last for weeks, and I know that we all know how terrifying it can be to be 'trapped' in that state.
    I enrolled on a Mindfulness course, not really hoping for much other than maybe some relaxation techniques. But since practising daily, I haven't experienced any feelings of not being real / not being in my body etc.
    Since the whole point of mindfulness is being here, now, in the present, being grounded it's been literally the perfect tonic for me and I wanted to suggest it to anyone else who suffers this horrid symptom.
    I'd read mindfulness books with no success but there was an 8 week course not too far from me which was taught by a retired GP & I believe they're country-wide so it's worth looking to see if one is being held near you, I think it was ran by BreathWorks. It involves daily meditation & dedicating some time during the day to 'do an activity mindfully' and then a group session once a week in the evening.
    I'm still battling anxiety but I'll take it over DP/DR any day.
    Just wanted to let people know it doesn't last forever
    I having an awful time with strong depersonalisation at the moment and am trying to find ways to be able to cope and where to turn to for support. Mindfulness is something I have heard of but never tried. Its interesting and will do some more research on the subject. Having something positive def helps me push aside the DP symptoms however temporary. Its the fear of not getting better and thst things are going to get worse are terrifying me and i go back to concentrating on the DP.

Thread Information