Thread: Another bleeding after sex post...

Another bleeding after sex post...

Hi All, I know this is a very common thread and I've looked at all of the other posts. For the past several years (I'm now 34) I've had bleeding after sex.

It is usually during my luteal phase/right near my period but I've had it in the middle of my cycle as well. In my 20s it was typically brown tinged but now its either bright red or pink. The bleeding is usually fairly light and has only been after using the washroom after sex.

Here are some of my 'stats"
    - Last pap 2 years ago (in Canada it is every 3), result was normal
    - No history of abnormal pap smears
    - A 'regular' at fertility clinics from February 2014 - March 2017 until we adopted our son. Had myriad of tests done including: STIs, monthly pelvic and transvaginal ultrasounds, saline sonohysterograms - all normal except 2 uterine fibroids and low progesterone
    - Last TVU & pelvic ultrasound & saline sono done in March 2017. Told gyno about bleeding after sex did cervix check as well and appeared normal

I do recall having a 'fishy' smell and swollen groin nodes off and on in Nov/Dec 2016. The smell and nodes disappeared. Then in March (around the time of my testing had a UTI, treated with antibiotics. My GP said it was maybe because of all the pelvic 'examinations' I had. April 2017 a groin node popped up (small) but never went away. Deemed reactive after numerous follow-up ultrasounds.

So, in a nutshell...doctors aren't looking into this issue further. They don't think the lymph nodes/UTI or fishy smell are related to the bleeding. Do I just relax with all the testing I've had previously? Of course, I googled and cervical cancer comes up. I am guessing with all the testing I've had, even though its been a year it's unlikely to be something so sinister, though not impossible.

Is it more likely that uterine fibroids and/or low progesterone are the culprit? My GP doesn't think I need further investigation as the likelihood of it being anything is so small.

Thanks all!

Re: Another bleeding after sex post...

Hello, so I posted something very similar to you a few days ago and I know that even when you see other similar posts we need to know ours is the same or similar. I haven't been able to see my gp yet but in the meantime I contacted a website based in the UK called Jos Cervical Trust. You give them all your details and they give you a medical opinion although they state you must also consult with your gp. They come back to you with an answer within 7 days. They told me within 48 hours that my symptoms did not sound like cervical cancer at all and that it was more likely to be cervical erosion which I know I am prone to. It sounds like you have been well covered by your doctors and are up to date with screening. I think we just automatically assume something awful when we see blood. Try not to worry and be assured you have not neglected your health and you will be ok.

Thank you so much Pearly Queen. I really appreciate your reply and I'm sorry you're going through something similar. I'm actually located in Canada and can't access the site you recommended (I can access the forum but can't get the expert opinion).

I feel like maybe I'm just overthinking this and I have had A LOT of tests in the past couple years. I keep trying to tell myself that something would have been noticed, especially if it were serious.

I hate feeling this way. One moment I've got a grip and then something else pops up and I'm terrified

I'm feeling really alone in all of this :(

Hiyer....

I didn't want to walk past this thread....as you haven't had many replies. I can only give you my experience as a person who is at the far end of the reproductive years, but there are some aspects that might relate to you and the odd bleeding here and there. I didn't have mid cycle bleeding at all until I was in late peri (i.e. now), and it would have terrified me too as all the information you read says 'inform your doctor, it could be....'. Now, later on in life, what would my first thought be ? Hormonal imbalance, which is what I believe has been one of the findings on your tests. You really have been thoroughly tested here, and I believe you are right about 'something would have shown, if it was there to see'.

Let me elaborate further on the mid cycle bleed thing. OK, so I am now experiencing quite erratic fluctuations on a month by month basis of all the hormones. Some cycles (If I can even call them that anymore as I've now started skipping cycles lol) oesterogen is high, certainly in relation to progesterone and some it is low, some the other way around. Sometimes they rise and drop on a day by day basis, I know they do as I have a few hours of PMT and stuff and then it switches. There are any number of combinations of outcomes to all these imbalances.

Now, I am obviously in a different place to you in age, but the outcome for me of the variations (besides erratic amount of bleeding, cycle length and so on) has been some mid cycle pink bleeding and infact spotting here there and everywhere, not even mid cycle. So, what I'm saying is, the fact that progesterone is low in you, and has been noted (presumably that is all related to your fertility issues and the new for IVF) that could certainly account for odd spotting in a cycle. Cycles where you don't ovulate, which I am now experiencing most of the time, can produce some really odd hormonal outcomes. I hope this helps a bit, even though my position is somewhat different?

Quote Originally Posted by anxious848 View Post
    Thank you so much Pearly Queen. I really appreciate your reply and I'm sorry you're going through something similar. I'm actually located in Canada and can't access the site you recommended (I can access the forum but can't get the expert opinion).

I feel like maybe I'm just overthinking this and I have had A LOT of tests in the past couple years. I keep trying to tell myself that something would have been noticed, especially if it were serious.

I hate feeling this way. One moment I've got a grip and then something else pops up and I'm terrified

I know the feeling. All of a sudden after ages feeling like you are top of your health anxiety a new symptom appears to start the whole thing over again. I remember hearing a doctor say that in any given week any of us can experience symptoms that could be potentially serious but for the most part are nothing to worry about. I now give things 3 or 4 weeks tosettle before running to my doctor and things usually do settle on their own. I think we both need to listen to Carys on this. She has been very helpful to me also. Give it a week or so and if you are really anxious, see your doctor.

Ay ladies, wait till pre-menopause, then you will know irregularity/oddness and strange happenings. I tell you, all the 'rules go out the window' and it is that that I have struggled with myself in the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Ay ladies, wait till pre-menopause, then you will know irregularity/oddness and strange happenings. I tell you, all the 'rules go out the window' and it is that that I have struggled with myself in the last few years.
    Hi can I ask you if this could possibly be pre-menopause symptoms-I'm 52, periods started to get erratic and now not had one for 3 months. Had slight bleeding after intercourse and getting slight brown discharge a couple of times a week when I wipe. I'm booked in for Ultrasound next week but I'm struggling with HA again, thinking the worst!

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Hiyer....

I didn't want to walk past this thread....as you haven't had many replies. I can only give you my experience as a person who is at the far end of the reproductive years, but there are some aspects that might relate to you and the odd bleeding here and there. I didn't have mid cycle bleeding at all until I was in late peri (i.e. now), and it would have terrified me too as all the information you read says 'inform your doctor, it could be....'. Now, later on in life, what would my first thought be ? Hormonal imbalance, which is what I believe has been one of the findings on your tests. You really have been thoroughly tested here, and I believe you are right about 'something would have shown, if it was there to see'.

Let me elaborate further on the mid cycle bleed thing. OK, so I am now experiencing quite erratic fluctuations on a month by month basis of all the hormones. Some cycles (If I can even call them that anymore as I've now started skipping cycles lol) oesterogen is high, certainly in relation to progesterone and some it is low, some the other way around. Sometimes they rise and drop on a day by day basis, I know they do as I have a few hours of PMT and stuff and then it switches. There are any number of combinations of outcomes to all these imbalances.

Now, I am obviously in a different place to you in age, but the outcome for me of the variations (besides erratic amount of bleeding, cycle length and so on) has been some mid cycle pink bleeding and infact spotting here there and everywhere, not even mid cycle. So, what I'm saying is, the fact that progesterone is low in you, and has been noted (presumably that is all related to your fertility issues and the new for IVF) that could certainly account for odd spotting in a cycle. Cycles where you don't ovulate, which I am now experiencing most of the time, can produce some really odd hormonal outcomes. I hope this helps a bit, even though my position is somewhat different?
    And when you are post menopausal there are other issues that can cause bleeding after sex like low estrogen levels causing thinning of vaginal tissues, dryness and irritation. Also you can get fissures in the posterior fourchette also due to the above. Using an estrogen replacement cream eg Ovestin 2x per week can relieve these symptoms but you have to use it continually. My gynecologist first prescribed the cream in my late 40's before I had any symptoms so I hardly used it, now I use it all the time.

Thread Information