Thread: Throat swollen when waking up?

Throat swollen when waking up?

I'm familiar with experiencing sensations like my throat is closing during the day if I'm anxious or panic I'm allergic to something, but twice now in the last 2 weeks I've woken up with an unusual sensation in my throat. It's as if it's swollen - I can breathe fine, there's no obstruction, and looking at it in the mirror with a flashlight, nothing seemed to be swollen.

I was anxious but since I knew I could breathe I went back to sleep and when I woke up a few hours later it was gone. That happened last time too.

I thought it was a hangover symptom as I was out last night, but the first time it happened I hadn't been drinking the night before. Allergy doesn't make sense as it wouldn't just go away from sleeping if I'm in the same room and didn't change anything. Can't be anxiety either as I wake up with it, so it's not like I've had time to think silly thoughts and cause it to happen.

Is it likely to just be related to sinus pressure/nasal congestion or post-nasal drip? I've had these issues for years but never experienced this symptom.

*It's also different to the 'throat tightness' of anxiety, it literally feels swollen but doesn't look like it at all or cause obstruction

is this something I should worry about? One of my biggest fears is having my throat close so it freaks me out a bit
    Last edited by Dimdim101; 03-11-18 at 07:08.

Re: Throat swollen when waking up?

Is it sore? It’s cold season at the moment and I sometimes wake with a swollen throat, I think it’s the cold air maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Throat swollen when waking up?

I'm from Aus. We had a major heat wave at the moment (air con was on though which could have been a factor, though last time it happened it wasn't on)

*And no, not sore - just an unusual feeling like it's swollen. Very hard to explain, because it doesn't actually affect breathing (though it makes me feel like I won't be able to breathe, when I try to I still can). Also weird it just disappeared both times when I went back to sleep for a few more hours
    Last edited by Dimdim101; 03-11-18 at 09:01.

Thread Information