Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Domestic abuse, main factor?

Peru83 is offline Intermediate Member

Exclamation Domestic abuse, main factor?

I have really been struggling these past few weeks. Just worrying and thinking about an ex of mine.

I've written one helluva blog, it's not for those that don't like to read, that is for sure! I've done this to try and help rationalise my feelings, maybe others can relate? Maybe it will be helpful to others to be able to relate? Maybe others can share with me, their points of view, to help me feel like I'm not alone? I dunno....

http://pmacorner.com/if-im-honest-i-...ll-stems-from/

Re: Domestic abuse, main factor?

Have you sought out therapy? Have you every considered that you might have some PTSD?

You know I honestly haven't. I wouldn't have thought this would be something that would cause PTSD, however, I am now realising that I quite clearly need help to deal with it all.

11 years of just brushing it under the carpet and just trying to plod on is not helping. I have so much hate and anger that I just cannot get past :(

Yes, you need some therapy.

I also recommend the book The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma by Van der Kolk. It's the best book on PTSD, IMO.

Another good book that helps you examine your current relationships is Toxic Parents by Susan Forward.

PTSD is had a criteria that includes flashbacks to diagnose it. But there are other forms of trauma based disorder too. From what I have read of the WHO manual these are short term and get converted into more appropriate long term disorders in the anxiety & depresion categories.

But I think AntysVee's point remains, it's still, possible that trauma has led to changes in your life. It's obvious when you think about, fight or flight builds up new fears based on repeated experience and trauma is emotional very potent. That's not to say it's clear cut, many won't be badly affected by traumas but for some it's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    PTSD is had a criteria that includes flashbacks to diagnose it. But there are other forms of trauma based disorder too. From what I have read of the WHO manual these are short term and get converted into more appropriate long term disorders in the anxiety & depresion categories.

But I think AntysVee's point remains, it's still, possible that trauma has led to changes in your life. It's obvious when you think about, fight or flight builds up new fears based on repeated experience and trauma is emotional very potent. That's not to say it's clear cut, many won't be badly affected by traumas but for some it's the case.
    You don't necessarily have to have flashbacks to be diagnosed with PTSD. PTSD is a tricky diagnosis, but it can last many years if not treated. Many people have PTSD who don't realize it. It's very under diagnosed, at least here in the states.

Whether the OP has is or not, I can't say. But it's something worth having a conversation about with their doc/therapist. If something is still bothering you after 11 years, then it's time to talk to someone about it.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    You don't necessarily have to have flashbacks to be diagnosed with PTSD. PTSD is a tricky diagnosis, but it can last many years if not treated. Many people have PTSD who don't realize it. It's very under diagnosed, at least here in the states.

Whether the OP has is or not, I can't say. But it's something worth having a conversation about with their doc/therapist. If something is still bothering you after 11 years, then it's time to talk to someone about it.
    Thanks, I think I'm thinking of WHO's next revision where it tightens the criterias, until then flashbacks are considered a feature rather than a requirement. They are still developing it though, so who knows, it may change.

It's going to be a tricky one as you say. But I haven't read the blogpost so I don't know whether it all started there or much later. Much later will also mean ruling out all the other factors that could cause anxiety disorders.

Like with all mental health, it would be great if medical professionals all worked from one central manual. You guys having the DSM and us using the WHO ICD isn't ideal. Some of the HA disorders have different criterias and even totally different names!

The other trauma based disorder in the ICD is a very short acute version, nothing like PTSD.

Thanks guys

I do think that this blog has highlighted the fact I'm clearly not where I should be, in terms of moving on. I'm going to be making an appointment for my GP soon and seeing about being referred for counselling again. I know the waiting lists can be long, but given I've gone 11 years, a few months will not kill me.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Thanks, I think I'm thinking of WHO's next revision where it tightens the criterias, until then flashbacks are considered a feature rather than a requirement. They are still developing it though, so who knows, it may change.

It's going to be a tricky one as you say. But I haven't read the blogpost so I don't know whether it all started there or much later. Much later will also mean ruling out all the other factors that could cause anxiety disorders.

Like with all mental health, it would be great if medical professionals all worked from one central manual. You guys having the DSM and us using the WHO ICD isn't ideal. Some of the HA disorders have different criterias and even totally different names!

The other trauma based disorder in the ICD is a very short acute version, nothing like PTSD.
    Yeah, it would be nice. I hope that when they revise the DSM here, that they address issues of complex grief and PTSD. I really had no idea how in-depth some of these issues went until I was diagnosed with PTSD myself and started going to traumatic grief group. We really need more professionals who specialize in PTSD because anxiety and depression are symptoms of PTSD, and that's often forgotten. I especially see the need with the amount of service men and women who are coming back from serving in the Middle East.

---------- Post added at 12:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jammiebasket View Post
    Thanks guys

I do think that this blog has highlighted the fact I'm clearly not where I should be, in terms of moving on. I'm going to be making an appointment for my GP soon and seeing about being referred for counselling again. I know the waiting lists can be long, but given I've gone 11 years, a few months will not kill me.
    True. I would suggest in the meantime check out some self-help books.

I have only ever witnessed domestic violence and part of my therapy is treating the trauma and the post traumatic stress I encountered as a child. This has lead me to form behaviours and rituals in order to survive whcih has in turn, turned into an anxiety itself...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information