Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Well here we go... 150mg

Re: Well here we go... 150mg

Quote Originally Posted by Angiesuggs View Post
    I feel a lot better today so hoping things are starting to work. I always get a headache and upset tummy for a while when they are increased.
    Serotonin isn't just a brain neurotransmitter, Angela. It has many roles in the body including in the regulation of blood vessel tone, constriction and dilation and serotonergic ADs can affect that function for a while when first taking them and after dose increases which can trigger headaches. The usual pain killers should be effective, however, if you need to take them for more than a couple of days in succession then paracetamol, aka acetaminophen, is the preffered option as the NSAIDs such as aspirin and ibuprofen are also blood 'thinners'.

The most serotonergic organ of the body isn't the brain, it is only a minor user, but the gut which makes about 50 times more serotonin than the brain. As with the blood vessels, SSRIs and other serotonergic ADs can impact its function for a while when first taken, or after dose increases. The enteric nervous system, the mini brain which controls the gut is also a significant force in anxiety and depression.

My sister lives in Australia 🤗
    Oh, the poor thing! Whatever did she do to deserve that?

Hi Ian

Your msgs are so interesting I look forward to them. I am also hoping Ava comes back in soon as I really would love to know how she is getting on.

I don’t know that many people on Ven but those I do know are on 150mg and swear by it. Is that the optimum dose? I was told it’s the therapeutic dose? Not sure how right that is having not had much experience with these types of medication. Today is better again so hoping things are slowly picking up for me. It’s about 2 and half weeks on 112.5 so do you think this could be the start of improvement? I know it will be a few weeks yet for full benefits. I think the NHS information is a little optimistic as they say 4 to 6 weeks for improvement but I am sure people take much longer.

My sister emigrated 15 years ago to Perth well just outside. Near a place called Joondalup.

Angie 😊

Quote Originally Posted by Angiesuggs View Post
    I don’t know that many people on Ven but those I do know are on 150mg and swear by it. Is that the optimum dose? I was told it’s the therapeutic dose?
    The therapeutic dose range is 75-225mg (up to 375mg in an inpatient setting) with most taking 100-150mg. At doses below about 225mg it acts only as a SSRI and is still only a weak noradrenaline/norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor even at the maximum 375mg. How much you'll need to get optimum results is something only time will tell.

It’s about 2 and half weeks on 112.5 so do you think this could be the start of improvement? I know it will be a few weeks yet for full benefits. I think the NHS information is a little optimistic as they say 4 to 6 weeks for improvement but I am sure people take much longer.
    ADs typically kick-in from between 4-12 weeks with most beginning to see benefits at around 6 weeks (ADs work by boosting the growth of brain cells which create the therapeutic response and they take about 7 weeks to grow to maturity though they may begin to make a difference a little earlier). However, as this is not your first time on ADs kick-in may take a little longer.

My sister emigrated 15 years ago to Perth well just outside. Near a place called Joondalup.
    I grew up in WA north of Kalgoorlie. Ran away as soon as I finished high school.

Hi Ian

Your information is always so interesting. How will it take longer to work if you have been on AD’s before? I am sure when I went on citalopram that it didn’t take this long to achieve a steady state but then again I have difficulty remembering that time.

I joined an online group on FB for Venlafaxine and lots of the people on there are on 150mg. Why is it called an SNRI when it isn’t really? The lady who runs the group says it is an SNRI at 150mg but reading your comments it can’t be so. Is Mirtazipine a good AD?

I only ask as I don’t know anyone on both only me are what I read In the medical reports in work. I was worried that I was a failure as things weren’t working for me and I will be like this forever.

I Know the “California rocket fuel” combo is supposed to be quite good. I am so hoping in another week or so I will feel more like the old happy me again.

My sister has been to Kalgoorlie a few times.

Angela 🤗

Hi both, firstly I hope you had a lovely Xmas. Angela you sound like you are starting to get somewhere, hang in there, the ven at 150mg took a good 8 weeks to start to work for me. I also have family in Australia, mainly Adelade (if that's how you spell it) I went to visit once but I was only 9 so have limited memories, i do remember my mum not wanting to come home though... haha.

Christmas was fairly decent for me considering I am still in blipville and have chosen to not increase my ven at this time. The last day or two have been a bit of a struggle though as I seem to have replaced a lot of the anxiety with tension. I am waking up with blinding headaches and my shoulders spend most of the time around my ears. My cbt has helped a bit in when I do have the anxiety I tell myself that my body is falsely telling me there is danger when there isn't any. I have a bit of a mantra that is 'there is no danger' then I carry on with what I was doing. I am also facing my scary thoughts by writing them down and then writing a more balanced thought next to them. It's not easy but it is getting easier. I am also keeping to my weekly planner and rating how I feel. My husband has bought me a candle making kit and some cross stitch for hobbies to do. I am looking forward to being back at work tomorrow even though it is from home, just for the structure. I am also picking up my cbt next week with my mum as my helper so will be having weekly sessions with her, we didn't do it as much over Christmas. My youngest son (17) is being a total nightmare at the minute too and it's causing so much stress. I feel like I either have him shouting at me about my husband or my husband shouting at me about him, either way it's not fun.

My husbands parents are arriving shortly to visit so I best go get ready.

Will update more tomorrow.

Ava x

Your information is always so interesting. How will it take longer to work if you have been on AD’s before? I am sure when I went on citalopram that it didn’t take this long to achieve a steady state but then again I have difficulty remembering that time.

(Just a note Angela, Cit always took about 2 weeks to work for me whereas ven has taken a lot longer, keep at it)

Hi Ava

It’s so good to hear from you. I feel as if I have know you forever after reading your blog. I so hope you don’t mind me butting in 😊. Thank you so much for the advice regarding the Ven. I have been 89 days in total and 20 days at 112.5. I keep a journal only o we the last few years that’s why I know the dates lol. I thought before Christmas that I was doing fantastic as never even thought of the anxiety/depression so I don’t know why it decided to some back. It’s not no where near as bad as it was before Ven but it’s that stomach drop thing I hate. So hoping that the increase will work soon. You said it didn’t really start to work for you until 8 weeks so just short of 12 weeks now. I am so gutted the Citalopram did not work it had been my constant for many years. Last time I was I. Australia I wanted to go to Adelaide but it was too expensive to get there. Maybe in the future I will get there one day. So glad your Christmas went ok. Sorry about your soon. I assume teenage years? Went through it with my daughter but she is a delight now and it does pass.

Angie 🤗

Sorry Ava May I ask, do you take one 150mg capsule in the morning or two 75 capsules? Xx

Hi Angie, I just take one 150mg dose in the morning, I am also on 30mg Nortryptline before bed, this was mainly to help with the tension but I am not sure that it helps really.

It's really nice to hear you say you feel like you know me from my journal, it's nice to know it has maybe helped someone, I often read back through it and it shows me how far I have come. Re the cit it was also my go-to med and I have been off and on it many times over the years. I was gutted when I couldn't tolerate the 30mg dose, it sent me hyper then really really low, I stuck with it for 8 weeks but it became unbearable. Ven has helped with my anxiety no doubt but I don't think it has ever lifted my mood as well like cit did.

It's been better being back at work today (never thought I would say that) but the structure helps. Anxiety is slightly less than yesterday but still very unsettled. I am going to give it till the end of Jan and if I am not improving on my own I will talk to my doctor about next steps.

Take care, Ava x

Hi Ava

Your journal has helped me loads. I don’t know many people on this med, 4 at most. I keep bothering them all the time asking questions, I bet they think I am stalking them 😂. I could not tolerate cut at 30mg or even 40mg made me very ill. I take 45mg of Mirt at night. I have a really good sleep now from it. I was hoping it would work it’s own but it didn’t so also started on the Ven. Today has been a much better day hardly any anxiety so hoping the new higher dose has maybe started to work?? I am not an expert on this med so I don’t know. With the cit you knew where you were with it. I take 75mg at 6.15am before I leave for work. I can only eat a biscuit at that time so as you do need to eat to take it I have the other 37.5 at lunchtime. So still getting the full 112.5 in 24 hours. My GP is reviewing me on 18th January so will see how I am. Most people say you need 150mg as it’s the lowest therapeutic dose?? I joined a FB group and most are on 150mg. I am not back to work until 4th. I too like the structure of the working day. I look forward to reading your updates. So glad I found this page.

Take care Angie 😊

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread Information