Thread: My GI Doctor just set off my C fear again UGH!!

My GI Doctor just set off my C fear again UGH!!

Hi everyone,

So a few months ago I started having random diarrhea and stomach pains on and off-and nausea and heartburn. So of course my biggest fear was Colon C. The moment I walked into my GI's office she said "It's not colon cancer." She said it was IBS... of course I was like NO. So she did a colonoscopy. All she found was a polyp which she removed and said it was nothing.

Diarrhea continued on and off... so she suggested endoscopy just to see for celiac... and plus I was afraid I was wrong the whole time and that it was stomach cancer so I was like YES let's do it... so she did it and found some mild inflammation and an ulcer in my small intestine-so this gave me A LOT of anxiety because I'm afraid of it turning to stomach cancer even though she tried to calm me down...so anyway, I kind of got over that.

Last week I went to her because my diarrhea came back and she said "I really think it's just IBS but let's just do a CT SCAN of the abdomen just to see if there's inflammation in your small bowel because that can cause diarrhea."

SO NOW OF COURSE I AM FREAKING OUT. I didn't even think that it could be cancer in the small bowel-OR even pancreas cancer this time too-I just don't know.. I feel like all this has been going on for some 5 months or so, but I haven't lost weight thankfully-gained if anything.

I keep trying to remember her saying "let's do the CT Scan so we can officially say this is IBS"-but I'm just scared it's really something else even though she mentioned she wasn't "SO WORRIED ABOUT IT.." which got me thinking so she's a little worried then?!

I don't want to keep emailing her because I know it's annoying... but now I can't help but think she's looking for ways to officially rule out cancer without telling me. I also want to call her and ask if this could be CYSTIC FIBROSIS... I am 33 years old but I don't know if I should contact my regular GP about that. I've been scared of that too...I don't have my anxiety therapy until next Tuesday so I'm so scared this is going to take over me for the next several days when I should just be enjoying my vacation from work... I need someone to talk me off the ledge and make me think rationally again. Please.

Re: My GI Doctor just set off my C fear again UGH!!

Inflammation and ulcers in the small intestine can also a symptom of another GI disease that you didn't mention- Crohn's though if it is Crohn's and not IBS it sounds like a mld version of it. Doesn't sound like cancer at all. Small intestine cancer is very very rare

Cystic Fibrosis onsets in childhood, and you are born with it. You'd have a ton of breathing problems and it would've been very noticeable from very early on. I have all of these symptoms and it is IBS, as I'm sure it will be for you.

Thank you for the responses guy.

I'm really trying to stay rational here. I emailed my GI doctor and asked her to please let me know the results as soon as she gets them, because she is aware of my anxiety.

I hate that I can't just sit back and relax and wait like a normal person.

Thread Information