Thread: Worried about chronic GERD symptoms since it's been a few months now diet change.

Worried about chronic GERD symptoms since it's been a few months now diet change.

For the last couple of months, since starting to gain weight ( which I was advised to do) , I started adding a balance of things- iron levels are fine, I been consciously taking in more protein and drinking water. However then I started to experience GERD symptom like never before , instense hunger feeling in middle of my stomach but excessive gas above it, when it starts to shift and I go back to normal for a couple of days, it starts to find another exit.
    There seems to be no pattern as to what am eating or not eating that then relieves it , but I have been experiencing this for a week or so with an intermission of a couple of weeks before it starts again. Last time it went away for a good amount of time my period returned after a few months absence. (I was getting them every 6 weeks as irregular anyway). I asked the doctor about the link to this and she didn’t seem to have an opinion on it.

I was on Omeprazole- ( 2-4 weeks)- felt ok for 1 week while taking it, symptoms returned 3 days before end of first course (was only 10 mg) at first and then went onto a higher dose at which point, when I finished it, it had done nothing . I then had an h.pylori test which came back clear.
    The doctor said she would send me for blood tests to check for anemia- my haemoglobin came back high and they redid the test at which point it was normal. I told the doctor that I had been suffering with the symptom with the first test and not with the second so, could there be a link? She said the high haemoglobin could be related to dehydration and to return in a month. However, I have been drinking no less than I was before.

I am starting to worry now and can’t book to go back due to the weather and the fact that I need to wait a week at least to even see a doctor. Am terrified of the camera down my throat. I was told they were not concerned though as food not sticking, not vomiting and all the concerning factors had been ruled out.

But I cannot go on like this. I have PCOS and though I had an abdominal scan recently after my bowel movements changed after a medication I was on last year (they did a stool test and came back negative for inflammation)- I am not sure if this abdominal scan would show the ovaries.

I have also been having a chronic post nasal drip which dries out back of my throat for about a year, but had it ages before these symptoms came along. I am so anxious and scared now jumping to all different conclusions of what is going on, given anything they are finding- which is really nothing at all bar the haemoglobin, they have no explanation for and no conclusions. I am only ever able to see the doctor for short amount of time and cannot in that time cover all that’s on my mind. I am not looking for answers here, just to vent and also if anyone else has experienced similar?

Re: Worried about chronic GERD symptoms since it's been a few months now diet change.

Hi Ruby,

I’ve been going through similar. I woke up one morning with strange abdo pains and freaked out that it was ovarian or appendix. I got myself so wound up over 2 weeks as I didn’t get a diagnosis and I was Googling like crazy. Docs kept just saying “it’s gastric go take Buscapan”. I had all sorts of ideas going through my head - mostly worries about stomach cancer. The pains seemed to shift from lower to upper abdo and then back again. I had burning sensations, cramping, urge to go to the toilet. Anyway, 3 weeks later I was told gastritis or stomach ulcer. H-pylori came back neg so they said gastritis. Have been taking omeprazole for 3 weeks. It worked well for 2 weeks but symptoms are back. What’s worse is that by winding myself up so much over this I’ve been getting heart problems too. So I’m now also on beta blockers to slow my heart down.

Mine is most likely a case of anxiety gone into overdrive plus gastritis. I’ve been trying to connect the abdo/stomach probs and the heart probs but I’ve seen 6 different GPs and they all say the common factor is anxiety. Please don’t worry yourself too much about this as these stomach things are pretty common and all quite similar in nature - reflux, gastritis etc. It is so unlikely to be anything ovarian as there tends not to show symptoms. I had the ovarian scan last week and all was fine.

You could always try to book a double app with your doc? Request one when you ring up.

Thread Information