Thread: Gerd, help/advice?

Gerd, help/advice?

Hi everyone this is my second post but I need some help/advice.
    I went to the doctor (walk-in clinic) last week for this concern I notice, I tend to usually cough/clear my throat after I eat. Usually it’s only one or twice a day hapening around lunch or dinner.
    The doctor thought I might have gerd and prescribe me ppi omeprazole 40mg. I never notice any other symptoms such heart burns or anything.
    I only taken one pill since then but everything seems to get weird at first my stomach feel queasy next I started belching/ burping pretty often (it’s hard to describe but it like burp in my throat, it doesn’t burn or anything) happens usually if I drink or eat anything including water. It’s like a internal burp if that makes any sense.
    I also started experiencing this lump in my throat feeling lately with my mouth feeling completely dry.
    I’m also completely stress, been having some sleepless nights.
    I’m not sure if I suffering from side affects of the pill (been 4 days), my anxiety or if I have gerd and it’s gotten worse?
    I have a upcoming doctor appointment in about a week too. I know most doctor diagnosis GERD base off symptoms and prescribe medication. I really want to know if I actually have GERD since I really only had slight coughing before I start taking medication. Anyone want to share their diagnosis experience? Did they run tests to confirm?
    I’m also 20 years old, never smoke in my life, not a drinker, not overweight (kinda underweight I think)

---------- Post added at 12:12 ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 ----------

To clarify, coughing after meals has been around for awhile I don’t know exactly when it started. Before taking the pill I never had this burping problem or the lump feeling in my throat.
    Please and thanks
    Ps. Anyone know how long it takes ppi to leave your system?

Re: Gerd, help/advice?

I can't believe how readily Doctors hand out medication in the USA.

I was prescribed PPI's a few years ago because I did have reflux. I only took them for 3 days before I realised they weren't for me, they made me feel awful. I've also researched a lot that long term PPI use isn't good for you so I decided to not take them at all any more.

Coughing after meals can be a sign of GERD, and quite often the other signs can be quite subtle.

I ended up treating my reflux with a combination of Apple Cider Vinegar (look it up on Youtube) and just being careful about what I eat. If I eat fatty, meaty food too often my reflux will play up a lot. Other people will react to different triggers.

It took a couple of weeks for my stomach to settle after I stopped taking PPI's.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    I can't believe how readily Doctors hand out medication in the USA.

I was prescribed PPI's a few years ago because I did have reflux. I only took them for 3 days before I realised they weren't for me, they made me feel awful. I've also researched a lot that long term PPI use isn't good for you so I decided to not take them at all any more.

Coughing after meals can be a sign of GERD, and quite often the other signs can be quite subtle.

I ended up treating my reflux with a combination of Apple Cider Vinegar (look it up on Youtube) and just being careful about what I eat. If I eat fatty, meaty food too often my reflux will play up a lot. Other people will react to different triggers.

It took a couple of weeks for my stomach to settle after I stopped taking PPI's.
    I hope I don’t have reflux problem, I don’t want to take medication just for symptoms (doesn’t really bother me; literally one or two coughs) just worried about the acid damaging my throat/esophagus. My cousin also thinks that my coughing might a habit so I’m really unsure. At this point I just want to know if I have GERD for sure, I don’t want doctor prescribe me medicine that I don’t need (especially ppi the long term effects are terrible, scared the heck out of me).
    Thanks for replying!

Ps. Do u get monitoring for your throat since your doctor confirm that you no longer have the reflux just to make sure your not refluxinf without symptoms?

Doctors here wouldn't really bother monitoring reflux, they'd just ask if you're suffering symptoms if you mention it.

I know when I have reflux because I can feel it. As long as I keep my diet ok and I take the ACV it's pretty well controlled.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Doctors here wouldn't really bother monitoring reflux, they'd just ask if you're suffering symptoms if you mention it.

I know when I have reflux because I can feel it. As long as I keep my diet ok and I take the ACV it's pretty well controlled.
    Oh okay

Just an update: I’m doing better stress wise but still a lot of burping

Bump, everything seems fine now except for excess gas
    Still looking for some tips so wanted to bump up the thread

Thread Information