Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I think I have cancer, but I'm too scared to go to the Doctor!

Unhappy Lung cancer symptoms in 15 year old (HELP!)

So I'm 15, I've never smoked, no one in my family smokes either but I've been having weird symptoms over the last month or so and I really do not know what to do.
    So, first of all, I felt chest pain on the left side of my chest that was random and stabbing (not triggered by breathing or anything). Then, I got a cough. It is mild, with only an itchy feeling in my throat. Then, 3 weeks ago, I noticed small streaks of blood in my sputum (very small streaks). That horrified me. Now I feel weird pains in my hip and my legs and arms (not caused by movement). I have no idea what's happening to me and I'm freaking out. However, I feel like I can't tell my mum and go to the doctor. I'm too scared to as I don't want to find out if I have something serious. Please help, I don't know what to do. Something that has eased my worry a bit is the fact that my friend also started coughing, with the same cough as me, so did my sister. Obviously, a cancer cough can't spread but I'm still very anxious and I constantly think about what's going on with my lungs. PLEASE HELP!
    Last edited by sarah12345; 09-07-17 at 21:37.

Re: Lung cancer symptoms in 15 year old (HELP!)

Two choices, worry yourself to death or see a doctor?

I just don't know how to tell my mum. I know I'm being really stupid.

Does not sound like lung cancer. More like allergies of some sort. Itchy feeling in the throat? That sounds very much like allergies or negative reactions to certain food or drinks. Although there are non-smokers with lung cancer I never heard of 15 year olds with it.

---------- Post added at 20:48 ---------- Previous post was at 20:48 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sarah12345 View Post
    I just don't know how to tell my mum. I know I'm being really stupid.
    Do tell her. Maybe you will get reassurrance.

Thank you But how could allergies cause blood in the sputum?

Coughs can last weeks before they go away. The blood in the sputum is more concerning, but not really for lung cancer. Can you just call the nurses line at the pediatrician and ask her if the blood in the sputum is something to get seen for? My daughter is only 3 and did not have blood in her sputum but did have blood in her stool. The nurse said it would only be concerning if it persisted but one or two times was no big deal, so I did not bring her in. If you call, the nurse could give you ideas for more realistic causes of the blood.

Hi Sarah
    I'm not a doctor but a pharmacist I spoke to a while back said that coughing can cause some blood in the sputum due to stress on the throat.
    Tell your mum, she'll be pleased you told her. It's soooo unlikely that it's lung cancer.
    There are loads of odd coughs and allergies going around at the moment. A doctor will calm you down and give you something to help the cough.

If everyone who got a cough had lung cancer almost everyone would have it at some point as everyone occasionally gets a cough.

Take care.

Have you been coughing/wretching to see if there is "still" blood in your sputum? As that will definitley make it worse. Just coughing alot can cause a tiny tear in your throat making blood appear my dr. told me.

Speak to your Mum, and speak to your Dr. Explain your symptoms but also tell her the worries you are having related to your health in general! From my personal experience doctors are much more appreciative and helpful when you explain to them honestly why you are there.

All the best.

It's not really the cough that concerns me though since my friend caught it off of me, it's more the aches and pains and the blood. I also do not know how to tell my mum. I feel like I will scare her and upset her. I sound really stupid but I don't want to know if I have something serious.

---------- Post added at 21:46 ---------- Previous post was at 21:45 ----------

But thank you all for replying. It is a relief to hear lung cancer is very uncommon in young people.

A 15 year old non smoker has the same chance of getting lung cancer as I do of convincing Katy Perry to come to my local with me for a beer. No chance, in other words.

Blood in your sputum can be caused by small blood vessels in the nose or throat bursting due to excessive coughing, sneezing and nose blowing. It's a very common occurrence during minor coughs and colds.

Seriously, you don't have lung cancer, don't even consider the possibility.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information