Thread: Anyone ever paid for a private doctor's appointment?

Anyone ever paid for a private doctor's appointment?

The last few times I've been to my GP (different locums both times) I've really felt like I'm just this unit that has to be processed and got back out the door as quickly as possible. It's not like I'm there all the time either, only been twice this year (so far!).

I realise they have targets to meet, but it wouldn't kill them to be a bit more friendly and take a couple of extra minutes to explain things. And to smile a bit more.

Anyway, I've just found out that you can pay to go for a private appointment with a non-NHS doctor where you get a guaranteed twenty minute appointment. Has anyone had one, and did you think it was worth it?

Re: Anyone ever paid for a private doctor's appointment?

Hi Farrell, I live in Ireland so can't give any feedback about NHS etc However I do see my psychiatrist privately and unfortuantely the difference is huge between going free on the government scheme and paying privately. All I used to hear from the psychiatrists at the free scheme is that 'we are very busy' but the psych I pay to see spends about 45 mins with me and I can have a real conversation with her and she listens.
    I know other people will have different experiences to this but these have been my experiences.
    I have also gone to GPs privately and throught the free health scheme and again the going private experience was a hundred times better. Unfortunate but true.

Best wishes

Ellen

Re: Anyone ever paid for a private doctor's appointment?

In my opinion Private is always better but hey you pay for it, not that we don't pay for the NHS because a big dollup of our pay packets go towards our doctors so I think we should be getting good service from the NHS but we don't.

Not to sure what area you live in but there is a group called mediclinic and they offer GP appointments 20 minutes for £55 but they are Putney, Wimbledon and Guildford.

I also have my therapy private, sure it's costly but at least I am seeing results! Goodluck I hope you manage to find someone.

Thread Information