Page 102 of 103 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103 LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1028

Thread: 19th July Reopening

Re: 19th July Reopening

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Hardly, P. I have in my collection of magazines some electrical and radio trade magazines from the post-war years.

*That* was austerity - "Fancy a new van for your business, Mr. Brown? Just put your name on this waiting list and hopefully you'll get one in two years' time. The manufacturers might even produce something for you to sell in your shop in the meantime."

Rationing that lasted until the early 1950s, shortages everywhere.

What people think is austerity now is not being able to get that 84" telly on credit this weekend, or having to wait for a Samsung Galaxy S22.

But yes, watching every penny because you don't know when your next job is coming is a pain in the bum.
    Whilst I don't in any way mean to trivialise hardship for anyone, today's problems in this country are definitely a walk in the park compared to the immediate postwar years (circa 1945-52).

Had Covid been a thing between then and probably even as late as the 90s we would have probably been well stuffed.

I personally think many of us are actually spoilt rotten these days, in the sense that we often seem to consider the slightest of inconveniences to be major crises, though I certainly wouldn't want to go back to the 'real' hardships of the past!

All in all, the much-fabled 'good old days' weren't really always that good!

Passenger locator form and testing gone for unvaccinated from Friday. Sadly only a small selection of countries I can visit so far hopefully they move before the summer

I have good news Holland is open to all so I am now free to book a Eurostar this summer which is fantastic news for a change as I hate flying!

Do you really want to put yourself through a Eurostar trip abroad when you still fear Covid so much?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Do you really want to put yourself through a Eurostar trip abroad when you still fear Covid so much?
    A catch-22 situation?

Certainly a "catch" situation on the train unmasked for an extended period of time in close contact with others. Not a nice prospect for someone terrified of covid.

I do want to go but sadly I found out the new rules won’t apply to UK as we are outside EU yet another Brexit issue. Norway and UK all fully open but some countries are peddling this nonsense no vaccine if you come from EU but if your in UK even if jabbed testing so it’s a con. Maybe I will get eventually but they have to drop these silly rules. As I said Dublin is very nice.

Certainly a "catch" situation on the train unmasked for an extended period of time in close contact with others. Not a nice prospect for someone terrified of covid.
    Well yes I went to Leeds for 3 hours with unmasked people I believe Eurostar can be less time they have yet to ditch masks too unlike British airways who have

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    I do want to go but sadly I found out the new rules won’t apply to UK as we are outside EU yet another Brexit issue. Norway and UK all fully open but some countries are peddling this nonsense no vaccine if you come from EU but if your in UK even if jabbed testing so it’s a con. Maybe I will get eventually but they have to drop these silly rules. As I said Dublin is very nice.
    Yes it is but that's irrelevant if you can't fly there.

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    Well yes I went to Leeds for 3 hours with unmasked people I believe Eurostar can be less time they have yet to ditch masks too unlike British airways who have
    You don't have a time limit to visit all these countries/places. You need to concentrate on things which are doable for you such as the Jake Bugg gig and going to places like Leeds which are still challenging but manageable. Also getting through a routine day without focusing on the peaks of anxiety symptoms and learning to reassure yourself.

Page 102 of 103 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103 LastLast

Thread Information