Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something stuck in throat feeling

Re: Something stuck in throat feeling

Hello,I have this feeling of something stuck in my throat,my husband has told me it is due to my anxiety and stress.I still don't believe him,even tho he is a doctor.
    Petra x

Smile Re: Something stuck in throat feeling

Hiya, I began with this situation of feeling like something was right at the back of my throat, and yup, I too was ignored by Doctors, each one saying 'Alfin, you are fine, there is nothing wrong, and if anything, you may have a viral infection'.

At one point, a Nurse checked me over and told me that my Uvula (The weird punch bag thing at the back of your mouth) looked a little swollen and was likely caused by an allergen (and I must admit that at this time there was a super high pollen count on account of a heat wave) I took an antihistamine and yay, it didn't do a thing to help!

At my whits end, and having suffered for days and days with this damn awful sensation, I thought, screw it, I am having a beer or few and the most insane thing happened... The sensation went away, I didn't really notice it at all for the duration of my alcohol fouled good times.

The next day, it returned worse than ever, and today, I went to the walk in centre (it is a Sunday today and so the Doctors are closed, but our local hospital offers a weekend GP Surgery which is fantastic.) The nurse I saw asked me if I suffered at all with anxiety... I resented her insinuation that this was caused by anxiety, but then it occurred to me that I had no issues with this sensation when I had been drinking (alcohol removes anxiety and fear) today, I have taken a Valium (Diazepam 2mg) and to be fair, it is no where near as bad.

In conclusion, this issue (as long as you have ruled out everything else) may actually be caused by nothing more than anxiety, or at the very least, a small viral issue which is worsened by anxiety (everyone seems to imagine that anxiety is all about panic attacks, but it holds so much more, and most if anxiety is actual physical sensations, I.e; Chest Pain, head aches, neck tightness and pain, shoulder pain, arm pain etc...)

Anyway, the Valium seems to have helped greatly, as has looking at it form an anxiety perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfin View Post
    Hiya, I began with this situation of feeling like something was right at the back of my throat, and yup, I too was ignored by Doctors, each one saying 'Alfin, you are fine, there is nothing wrong, and if anything, you may have a viral infection'.

At one point, a Nurse checked me over and told me that my Uvula (The weird punch bag thing at the back of your mouth) looked a little swollen and was likely caused by an allergen (and I must admit that at this time there was a super high pollen count on account of a heat wave) I took an antihistamine and yay, it didn't do a thing to help!

At my whits end, and having suffered for days and days with this damn awful sensation, I thought, screw it, I am having a beer or few and the most insane thing happened... The sensation went away, I didn't really notice it at all for the duration of my alcohol fouled good times.

The next day, it returned worse than ever, and today, I went to the walk in centre (it is a Sunday today and so the Doctors are closed, but our local hospital offers a weekend GP Surgery which is fantastic.) The nurse I saw asked me if I suffered at all with anxiety... I resented her insinuation that this was caused by anxiety, but then it occurred to me that I had no issues with this sensation when I had been drinking (alcohol removes anxiety and fear) today, I have taken a Valium (Diazepam 2mg) and to be fair, it is no where near as bad.

In conclusion, this issue (as long as you have ruled out everything else) may actually be caused by nothing more than anxiety, or at the very least, a small viral issue which is worsened by anxiety (everyone seems to imagine that anxiety is all about panic attacks, but it holds so much more, and most if anxiety is actual physical sensations, I.e; Chest Pain, head aches, neck tightness and pain, shoulder pain, arm pain etc...)

Anyway, the Valium seems to have helped greatly, as has looking at it form an anxiety perspective.
    can i get any meds for the tight throat feelings? or nausea?

hi everyone ,
    i have had similar symptoms and its horrible .After doing a lot of research on the subject came to a conclusion that the feeling of something being stuck in throat is due to acidity problem (acid reflux) and till such time u will have acid reflux problem u will keep getting this feeling again and again . so the way i have cured my problem is by consuming ginger water.( boil water add few slices of ginger and let the water come to room temperature ) then drink it , keeping doing this everytime you have water . believe you me this cures ur acidity problem and this feeling of something being stuck in throat , no medication helps . try this and do let me know ur feedback .u will not need to go to a doctor again . and yes avoid spicy food oily food to keep ur stomach healthy .
    thanks
    al

Quote Originally Posted by peter34uk View Post
    Ive not long eaten some crisps and now feel as though something lodged in my throat.

I can breath and eat/drink okay. Not choking or anything, but my throat feels like something in back of my throat.

Anyone else get this??
    yes,I feel the same thing

I've been getting this but it definitely feels more like a phlegmy throat; where my throat just won't seem to relax and let it go down naturally. I've tried nasal sprays and also on PPIs but still haven't got to the bottom of it. I'm seeing ENT for silent reflux and have cut back on any acidic food. Weird though that I had a long weekend away and hardly noticed it at all although I was drinking every day as on holiday abroad on a hen long weekend. Came back as soon as I was home. Wondering whether to try an anxiety tablet. Also had an ear infection which has not helped and wonder if this is linked to the reflux (or flights) or an infection. It does cause me great anxiety and I've had similar things before (bladder issue, groin pain, coccyx pain) where the more I focus the more it happens then suddenly it is gone. But hard to make that happen. Any advice welcome.

I am sure it is just a bit of crisp that has scratched the back of your throat..
    but.. it was once explained to me that during anxiety, the reason we get a feeling of tightness in the throat is because during the 'fight or flight' reaction, the body protects its most important areas, and there are lots of them in the neck area, ie the windpipe and food pipe, so the blood vessels swell up in the area around them, in order to protect them! Totally harmless, but that's why we get such a feeling!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information