Thread: At my wits end :( Breathing problems, went to hospital. Citolopram?

Unhappy At my wits end :( Breathing problems, went to hospital. Citolopram?

Hi, well after all my worrying of clots from my previous post about my dear mother passing away in October I just couldn't take it anymore and went to A&E today. They gave me a chest X-ray, ECP, blood tests for clots, anemia and another thing I wasn't sure what it was. And everything came back ok. Thank god. The doctor said it is definitely anxiety. And he can confirm completely there's nothing wrong with me. So why do I still feel anxious?! What is going on? I don't understand how I can be told this by so many professionals and still have this fear.

I have this problem with my breathing where it feels like I can't get enough air into my lungs, and I'm breathing too shallow or something. Like I can't get a breath. But not to the extent of choking, just it being noticeable. I get it when I'm lying down, 'relaxed' obviously not :/. Also any advice on Citolopram? I've been given it but dunno whether to take it or not. Any side affects or problems?

And I still have the leg pain? Any recommendations about how to fix these, or stories so I don't feel alone would help so much. I feel like this forum is the only place in the world right now that understands what I'm going through. :(
    Last edited by ElectricAlice; 17-01-11 at 19:16. Reason: Forgot something.

Re: At my wits end :( Breathing problems, went to hospital. Citolopram?

in regards to the breathing problem, it could be tension in your muscles.
    when you take a slow deep breath, so you belly pushes out, can you do that ok?
    when did this breathing shallow start?
    it does seem as if your hyperventilating.

Re: At my wits end :( Breathing problems, went to hospital. Citolopram?

Thought you might like to read this - i've suffered with this for years. It can be very distressing but is not harmful.

Hyperventilation syndrome is an episodic disorder that often presents with chest pain and a tingling sensation of the fingertips (paraesthesia) and around the mouth, as well as deep and labored breathing (causing hyperventilation), although chronic but subtle hyperventilation can cause these symptoms too.
    Hyperventilation syndrome can be part of a panic attack but, despite all the stigma, most patients are not putting on a show but are in true distress. The hyperventilation is self-promulgating as carbon dioxide (CO2) levels fall and respiratory alkalosis (high blood pH) develop. The respiratory alkalosis leads to changes in the way the nervous system fires and leads to the paresthesia, dizziness, and perceptual changes that often accompany this condition.
    A rapid traditional intervention is to have the patient breathe into a paper bag, causing rebreathing and restoration of CO2 levels. The same benefits can be obtained from deliberately slowing down the breathing rate by counting or looking at a watch -- often referred to as "7-11 breathing", where the inhalation is counted to 7 and the exhalation to 11.

All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! (peanuts)

Thread Information