Thread: Complex Ovarian Cyst

Complex Ovarian Cyst

New poster here but not new when it comes to Health Anxiety. About two weeks ago - I had some very light spotting on days 8-10 - my period normally only goes for 7 days. Since any spotting not normal to you - is supposed to be checked out - I went in to see my GYN. BTW - I am almost 51 - still regular periods - although earlier this year had one that started earlier and last fall had one start a little later - so I was thinking that this spotting could be perimenopause type thing going on. Anyway, GYN exam doctor felt pelvis felt normal and said let's also do a TV ultrasound which showed normal lining but one very small 1 mm cyst was found on right ovary and she said it was a complex cyst which she wants to check again in 3 months. Does anyone have experience with these? So far, no symptoms of any sort and I feel if it is still there or getting bigger on next ultrasound maybe it is best to get it removed? Has anyone had anything like this? And of course, the day after my appointment with her the spotting - thankfully - has stopped. Any replies would be very helpful. Thank you.

Re: Complex Ovarian Cyst

Anyone?

Sorry, Jennie, I don't have any experience of this. I wouldn't worry for now, though, I'm sure if your doctor had any concerns she wouldn't just be watching and waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Sorry, Jennie, I don't have any experience of this. I wouldn't worry for now, though, I'm sure if your doctor had any concerns she wouldn't just be watching and waiting.
    Thank you BlueIris for your reply. I have a call in to my doc just to ask a few questions and get reassurance that it is ok to wait 3 months before next checkup.

I have a small cyst, it’s a bit bigger than yours - on my right ovary. I had tv ultrasounds and an MRI. I was told to have it checked again in a year if it’s causing problems but no-one seemed too concerned.
    The watch and wait is very common with small cysts.
    Hope your gyno has the answers you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    I have a small cyst, it’s a bit bigger than yours - on my right ovary. I had tv ultrasounds and an MRI. I was told to have it checked again in a year if it’s causing problems but no-one seemed too concerned.
    The watch and wait is very common with small cysts.
    Hope your gyno has the answers you need.
    Thank you for responding. I hope to talk to her next week and just get reassurance that it is ok to monitor and I’m thinking if it is still there in a few months when I get back for the ultrasound- can it be removed. Do you plan on getting yours removed or does it have to be a certain size or something before they will remove it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennie048 View Post
    Thank you for responding. I hope to talk to her next week and just get reassurance that it is ok to monitor and I’m thinking if it is still there in a few months when I get back for the ultrasound- can it be removed. Do you plan on getting yours removed or does it have to be a certain size or something before they will remove it?
    I think that they do (in the UK) remove most complex cysts unless they see a reason to watch and wait.
    With mine they were very much of an attitude that if it causes problems they will remove it, but there’s no point having surgery if it isn’t.

Thread Information