Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm so worried about lung cancer..

I'm so worried about lung cancer..

Hi,

My mum has quit smoking yesterday and now has a dry tickly non-productive cough and I know that a quitters cough is wet! I'm so convinced this is lung cancer, I'm sat here in tears and I just can't believe this is happening because I've been worrying about it for so long. I love my mum so much but at the same time I'm so annoyed at her for having this cough even though it's not her fault. It's really ruining my life.

Toby

Re: I'm so worried about lung cancer..

The cough doesn't have to be necessarily wet, that depends on whether your mother had mucus in her lungs as a result of smoking or not, not everybody get their lungs full of, pardon my french, crap. It depends on how long she's been smoking for, if she inhales the smoke or not, etc.

If she has been a long time smoker though, it would be worth telling her to get a chest CT scan done just for peace of mind, it doesn't hurt and both you and your mother should feel very reassured.

Just don't obsess over her cough, it's supposed to happen, wet or dry.

Quote Originally Posted by androidz View Post
    The cough doesn't have to be necessarily wet, that depends on whether your mother had mucus in her lungs as a result of smoking or not, not everybody get their lungs full of, pardon my french, crap. It depends on how long she's been smoking for, if she inhales the smoke or not, etc.

If she has been a long time smoker though, it would be worth telling her to get a chest CT scan done just for peace of mind, it doesn't hurt and both you and your mother should feel very reassured.

Just don't obsess over her cough, it's supposed to happen, wet or dry.
    This literally came on just when she quit so it'd make sense if it were a smokers cough but I don't get how it can be dry? Would there still be a cough if there was no mucus? I literally can't cope :(

At least she's trying to quit. You had this same fear months ago and she's Ok.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=175819

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 25-01-16 at 16:39.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Toby2000 View Post
    This literally came on just when she quit so it'd make sense if it were a smokers cough but I don't get how it can be dry? Would there still be a cough if there was no mucus? I literally can't cope :(

Yes there would, smoking reduces the movement of the cilia in your lungs, which are small protuberances like hairs that are in charge of protecting your lungs against foreign matter that might make its way in, and after you quit smoking these reactivate and cause this typical cough. Everybody will have a cough after they quit smoking, for a few weeks/months their cough might even be worse than it was when they smoked, but over the period of a year all the nasty smoking symptoms will fade away and she'll be fine.

Again, if you two are too anxious about this, just go for a CT scan and you'll be relieved when you see that everything is fine. Also support her on her efforts to quit and feel proud, it's not an easy task

Fishmanpa, back then it was just a tiny tickly cough in the throat and now it's something much worse, a constant dry tickly cough. It was when she quit last time in Jan a phlegm-y cough but this time it's not, that's why I'm worrying. I'm trying to collect and rationalize my thoughts but it's really difficult. Would a dry lung cancer cough come on in one/three days?

---------- Post added at 16:51 ---------- Previous post was at 16:49 ----------

Androidz she won't go for a scan or anything, she doesn't want to hear it she thinks it's just a cough. She went October time and the doctor listened to her chest and said it was fine but now it's late Jan and it's different now.. ugh I hate this

Fishmanpa, back then it was just a tiny tickly cough in the throat and now it's something much worse, a constant dry tickly cough. It was when she quit last time in Jan a phlegm-y cough but this time it's not, that's why I'm worrying. I'm trying to collect and rationalize my thoughts but it's really difficult. Would a dry lung cancer cough come on in one/three days?

---------- Post added at 16:51 ---------- Previous post was at 16:49 ----------

Androidz she won't go for a scan or anything, she doesn't want to hear it she thinks it's just a cough. She went October time and the doctor listened to her chest and said it was fine but now it's late Jan and it's different now.. ugh I hate this
    About your first paragraph, I already gave you the information on why this cough happens, you're focusing too much on whether it's dry or wet when this really is not important. The cough IS supposed to happen, it's not anything to be inmediately concerned about.

Also, you say this happened after she quit smoking, which basically reinforces the idea that it's normal and nothing to worry about. A cancer doesn't pop out of nowhere from one day to another, if she had had lung issues, she would've presented with the typical symptoms (like coughing up blood, unexplained weight loss, rib and back pain in the lung area...) while she was still smoking. If she was fine before and just the day after she quit smoking she's coughing more intensely, then that's normal, it's the response that you would expect.

In any case I'm under the impression that I can't offer you enough information to calm you down, when you're at this point, a medical evaluation is the only thing that will reassure you.

You've actually helped me loads, thanks so much. She did have a cough before she stopped but it wasn't as frequent or intense. It was on occasion but it did get worse when she quit and she's coughing loads today. No blood or weight loss I don't think either. Is coughing up blood really common with LC sufferers?
    Up to a 50% of people with LC can cough up phlegm with traces of blood. Then there's shortness of breath, pain, fatigue, unexplained weight loss and all the other typical symptoms which as you said, your mother doesn't have.

If it gives you any relief, for example my father has had a dry nasty cough for... I think more than 15-20 years, he's 65 now and has been a smoker since he was in his 20s. The way he coughs would make you think there's something wrong with him sometimes, especially when he also catches a cold or a flu at the same time, but here he is, still alive and "fine" (I wish he'd quit like your mother, though).

You have to remember that smoking doesn't necessarily mean you will get LC, it just increases your risks that's all.

Yeah I get you. I'm glad your dad is ok. She does feel a bit tired at times because she has 3 kids, she's single and has a strenuous job but not fatigued like massively. Also I've noticed that this cough has gotten dramatically worse within the past 2 days, so I'm guessing it's not lung cancer because it wouldn't get worse that dramatically in 2 days would it?

While your concern for your Mom is understandable in that we all care about our loved ones (most of us anyway ), it's your reaction that is concerning to me and has been since you started posting here.

The amount of worries and anxiety you have, especially at your young age needs to be addressed IMO. How's that going Toby? Are you any closer to getting some therapy or help with your anxiety?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information