Thread: Triggered by family members colon cancer diagnosis

Triggered by family members colon cancer diagnosis

Colon cancer has been a fear of mine in the past and the fear came back in full force last night. The wife of my father in law got diagnosed with colon cancer after having no symptoms and she's 38, same age as me (second wife of father in law). She's a slim, Japanese lady, who's always eaten a healthy diet. Of course, I know nothing about her family's medical history. But now I'm spiralling.

I had a scare a couple of years when I experienced pain in my lower right abdomen. I had exams, blood tests and vaginal ultrasounds for cysts. My iron came out as low, but I hardly eat an I meat and a low-calorie diet, which the doctor figured would explain it. I never had any issues with bowel movements, but he still made me take some stool samples. They all came out clear BUT the last one contained borderline traces of blood. However, I also started my period the day that the sample was taken, so yeah. The sample might have been contaminated. Doc didn't seem worried. The idea of a colonoscopy was mentioned, but he then didn't think it was necessary, He gave me some IBS medicine and that cleared up the pain issue. I haven't had a single issue since then. There's almost zero family history of colon cancer but I think my grandmother developed it in her 90s.

And now I am in a tailspin. Despite feeling happy and healthy in general, I'm obsessing about this again. I had my blood checked last autumn and my iron was still a bit low, but not dangerously so. Have another blood check this autumn (mainly because my vitamin D was low).

How do I help myself?

Re: Triggered by family members colon cancer diagnosis

She must have had some symptoms to get a diagnose in the first place? Also she's not related to you AT ALL so you can feel easy about that, I know it's hard but don't make her journey your own ... you're safe and healthy ... you're fine. I'm going through this right now as i have thin flat stools so I probably have more reason to be concerned than you!

Quote Originally Posted by tan235 View Post
    She must have had some symptoms to get a diagnose in the first place? Also she's not related to you AT ALL so you can feel easy about that, I know it's hard but don't make her journey your own ... you're safe and healthy ... you're fine. I'm going through this right now as i have thin flat stools so I probably have more reason to be concerned than you!
    My sympathies, that is scary. Hope you are doing ok!

In actual fact, her cancer was caught by one of those massive screening they do annually in Japan. It doesn't matter whether you have symptoms or not, everyone gets checked thoroughly once a year. Every hypochondriacs nightmare/dream, depending on what your health anxiety looks like. It's just scary to think that they probably wouldn't have found it otherwise. I'm not a fan of unnecessary mass screenings but stuff like this does make me wonder. What I know is that she was always very tired. But she's been like that for years.

oh wow, did they get it early? Was it a colonosocpy?
    x

Quote Originally Posted by tan235 View Post
    oh wow, did they get it early? Was it a colonosocpy?
    x
    I think it was just stool samples and they found blood. So she got a colonoscopy. They caught it early, yes.

As someone with HA I really don't cope well with "discovered by chance" scenarios lol

Thread Information