Home | Contact | Sitemap | Privacy Policy | Terms and conditions
User Name
Password
Health Anxiety Health Anxiety. Please check other sub-forums first to see if your problem should be posted there instead. E.G. the IBS forum, the symptoms forum, male/female issues. Please also read this Website page: Health Anxiety
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 22-05-18, 18:54
ballerina ballerina is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 131
Re: Ultrasound tomorrow, so worried

So I got my ultrasound, the technician (if that is the correct term) was super friendly and understanding. She said there was nothing there that concerned her, and the nodes weren't even clinically enlarged. I said "but they feel huge, the doctor said they were enlarged, and I've never been able to feel them in my life until now." She said they might be bigger than they used to be due to infection, and may never go back to the size they were, but are not at a level that would need further investigation, and as they've been that size for 7 months they're unlikely to grow. It just irritates me that Dr Googles says nodes should 'never' be palpable! And that ultrasound and FNA are completely useless for lymphoma.
She laughed when I said about google, she said "don't use google you'll be diagnosing yourself with lymphoma and all sorts!" I'm sure that if lymphoma was a possibility she wouldn't make a joke about it!
And the 'hard lump' under my ear, she thinks it's my parotid gland. Of course now I've convinced myself it's a cancer or an HIV symptom (dr google saying salivary gland dysfunction is a symptom of HIV, which I'm worried I have, had a test 2 months post risky encounter - negative, haven't plucked up the courage to go back for another test yet).

Anyway she said to go back to my GP in a week's time for the official results and ask for an ENT referral. Fingers crossed the GP will give me one! I'll be glad to see a specialist after going back and forward to a GP for 7 months with a shrug of the shoulders and a recommandation of ibuprofen
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 23-05-18, 22:25
Andrash Andrash is offline
Intermediate Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 613
Re: Ultrasound tomorrow, so worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerina View Post
So I got my ultrasound, the technician (if that is the correct term) was super friendly and understanding. She said there was nothing there that concerned her, and the nodes weren't even clinically enlarged. I said "but they feel huge, the doctor said they were enlarged, and I've never been able to feel them in my life until now." She said they might be bigger than they used to be due to infection, and may never go back to the size they were, but are not at a level that would need further investigation, and as they've been that size for 7 months they're unlikely to grow. It just irritates me that Dr Googles says nodes should 'never' be palpable! And that ultrasound and FNA are completely useless for lymphoma.
She laughed when I said about google, she said "don't use google you'll be diagnosing yourself with lymphoma and all sorts!" I'm sure that if lymphoma was a possibility she wouldn't make a joke about it!
And the 'hard lump' under my ear, she thinks it's my parotid gland. Of course now I've convinced myself it's a cancer or an HIV symptom (dr google saying salivary gland dysfunction is a symptom of HIV, which I'm worried I have, had a test 2 months post risky encounter - negative, haven't plucked up the courage to go back for another test yet).

Anyway she said to go back to my GP in a week's time for the official results and ask for an ENT referral. Fingers crossed the GP will give me one! I'll be glad to see a specialist after going back and forward to a GP for 7 months with a shrug of the shoulders and a recommandation of ibuprofen
Last time I was here, you were super scared of cancer because some character from Coronation Street died from it. It means only one thing - Google has made a mess of your life AND health (yes, health, because anxiety is making your throat problems worse). So, my advice is: by all means find out what is wrong with your tonsils, but cross cancers and lymphomas off the list (2 fully trained medical professionals told you so) and stop googling. Better still, blacklist all medical sites so that you can't access them.

Btw, I can feel my both parotid glands under my fingers. It has always been that way - even during my worst HA bouts I didn't think anything much of it. They are definitely not "dysfunctional". Therefore, chin up and keep it up
__________________
To wear your heart on your sleeve isn't a very good plan; you should wear it inside, where it functions best.

Margaret Thatcher

Last edited by Andrash; 24-05-18 at 10:59.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 23-05-18, 22:48
ThroatGoat ThroatGoat is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 256
Re: Ultrasound tomorrow, so worried

Google says nodes can easily be found in the neck and groin area for me.

I've had 2 solid ones behind each ear for literally years and I'm not dead yet.

Lymphoma was a concern of mine until I had my blood work done, I'm pretty sure you can't have lymphoma and your blood tests be totally fine.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 23-05-18, 23:34
BikerMatt's Avatar
BikerMatt BikerMatt is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,039
Re: Ultrasound tomorrow, so worried

[QUOTE=ballerina;1794470

Anyway she said to go back to my GP in a week's time for the official results and ask for an ENT referral. Fingers crossed the GP will give me one! I'll be glad to see a specialist after going back and forward to a GP for 7 months with a shrug of the shoulders and a recommandation of ibuprofen [/QUOTE]

I rest my case. 7 months of getting fobbed off by a GP Even i can see from the pictures you posted your tonsils are red and agitated. Make sure you get that referral, but be prepared for a long waiting time.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 25-05-18, 00:35
ballerina ballerina is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 131
Re: Ultrasound tomorrow, so worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerMatt View Post
I rest my case. 7 months of getting fobbed off by a GP Even i can see from the pictures you posted your tonsils are red and agitated. Make sure you get that referral, but be prepared for a long waiting time.
I got one! I took my mum with me, the GP said "well I don't know if they'll do anything, but it's been going on a while, so I'll refer you if you want me to"

I got a password to book my own appointment online, but it says there are none available, so I guess I'll ring tomorrow.

my mum was like "I'm glad I came with you, that doctor is so defensive, she wouldn't have done anything if I wasn't there" and my mum doesn't have any sort of anxiety.

Just glad I've got the referral! Even without health anxiety worrying about serious issues, I have a tonsil issue full stop. I spit yellow with blood in it, my salivary glands swell and I can't breathe properly half the time due to the inflammation.

---------- Post added at 00:33 ---------- Previous post was at 00:23 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrash View Post
Last time I was here, you were super scared of cancer because some character from Coronation Street died from it. It means only one thing - Google has made a mess of your life AND health (yes, health, because anxiety is making your throat problems worse). So, my advice is: by all means find out what is wrong with your tonsils, but cross cancers and lymphomas off the list (2 fully trained medical professionals told you so) and stop googling. Better still, blacklist all medical sites so that you can't access them.

Btw, I can feel my both parotid glands under my fingers. It has always been that way - even during my worst HA bouts I didn't think anything much of it. They are definitely not "dysfunctional". Therefore, chin up and keep it up
tbh I wasn't scared of cancer BECAUSE of coronation street. I was just sick of seeing it everywhere, and to see someone that felt completely well, suddenly diagnosed with terminal cancer, and leaving their family behind upset me a lot (even though I know it's not real), when it's a programme that's usually familiar and easy to distract myself with.

Also the sonographer said they were swollen, and I do have pus that comes out of them so I do have issues. I've had issues with my tonsils since 2011, even before health anxiety. My anxiety might not make the physical issue worse, which is 100% there whether serious or not, anxiety or not, but I do agree it makes my dealing with it much harder. And I do agree that I should cross the cancer off of the list, my pre-health anxiety self would've thought, phew the doctors said I don't have to worry about cancer. But my brain is wired to the 'what if' of every scenario.

---------- Post added at 00:35 ---------- Previous post was at 00:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGoat View Post
Google says nodes can easily be found in the neck and groin area for me.

I've had 2 solid ones behind each ear for literally years and I'm not dead yet.

Lymphoma was a concern of mine until I had my blood work done, I'm pretty sure you can't have lymphoma and your blood tests be totally fine.
I didn't used to be able to feel any nodes at all, however I can now, I suppose part of recovery is learning to accept that your body can change and may not go back to how it was, but that doesn't mean it's serious.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 25-05-18, 16:39
Andrash Andrash is offline
Intermediate Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 613
Re: Ultrasound tomorrow, so worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerina View Post
I got one! I took my mum with me, the GP said "well I don't know if they'll do anything, but it's been going on a while, so I'll refer you if you want me to"

I got a password to book my own appointment online, but it says there are none available, so I guess I'll ring tomorrow.

my mum was like "I'm glad I came with you, that doctor is so defensive, she wouldn't have done anything if I wasn't there" and my mum doesn't have any sort of anxiety.

Just glad I've got the referral! Even without health anxiety worrying about serious issues, I have a tonsil issue full stop. I spit yellow with blood in it, my salivary glands swell and I can't breathe properly half the time due to the inflammation.

---------- Post added at 00:33 ---------- Previous post was at 00:23 ----------



tbh I wasn't scared of cancer BECAUSE of coronation street. I was just sick of seeing it everywhere, and to see someone that felt completely well, suddenly diagnosed with terminal cancer, and leaving their family behind upset me a lot (even though I know it's not real), when it's a programme that's usually familiar and easy to distract myself with.

Also the sonographer said they were swollen, and I do have pus that comes out of them so I do have issues. I've had issues with my tonsils since 2011, even before health anxiety. My anxiety might not make the physical issue worse, which is 100% there whether serious or not, anxiety or not, but I do agree it makes my dealing with it much harder. And I do agree that I should cross the cancer off of the list, my pre-health anxiety self would've thought, phew the doctors said I don't have to worry about cancer. But my brain is wired to the 'what if' of every scenario.

---------- Post added at 00:35 ---------- Previous post was at 00:33 ----------



I didn't used to be able to feel any nodes at all, however I can now, I suppose part of recovery is learning to accept that your body can change and may not go back to how it was, but that doesn't mean it's serious.
Try this: what if it is not cancer?
__________________
To wear your heart on your sleeve isn't a very good plan; you should wear it inside, where it functions best.

Margaret Thatcher
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 25-05-18, 17:08
daisy4001 daisy4001 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 38
Re: Ultrasound tomorrow, so worried

omg sis i have like similar symptoms. i have a swollen node under my left jaw for like 6 months now. although i'm not entirely sure if the node is still there since i haven't tried prodding it for like over a month now (I'M SCARED TO TOUCH and like find out what if it has g r o w n yIKES) but anyw there's still the swollen feeling to it so i guess it's still there. also, the swollen feeling is accompanied by a wisdom tooth ache so it's even worse now.

but what keeps me a little bit fine and assured is that, like you, i've maintained (even gained YIKES) my weight and that my node never grew or that it never affected other nodes elsewhere in my body. although i haven't done an ultrasound and a recent cbc which are still the things that i need (to like, reassure me mostly).

i'm planning to go to an ent and dentist soon though. i really want to get rid of my nasty toothache, it's so uncomfy. :( btw i'm 18!!! nice to meet you.
__________________
battling health anxiety, slowly but surely!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 25-05-18, 22:44
ballerina ballerina is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 131
Re: Ultrasound tomorrow, so worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy4001 View Post
omg sis i have like similar symptoms. i have a swollen node under my left jaw for like 6 months now. although i'm not entirely sure if the node is still there since i haven't tried prodding it for like over a month now (I'M SCARED TO TOUCH and like find out what if it has g r o w n yIKES) but anyw there's still the swollen feeling to it so i guess it's still there. also, the swollen feeling is accompanied by a wisdom tooth ache so it's even worse now.

but what keeps me a little bit fine and assured is that, like you, i've maintained (even gained YIKES) my weight and that my node never grew or that it never affected other nodes elsewhere in my body. although i haven't done an ultrasound and a recent cbc which are still the things that i need (to like, reassure me mostly).

i'm planning to go to an ent and dentist soon though. i really want to get rid of my nasty toothache, it's so uncomfy. :( btw i'm 18!!! nice to meet you.
have your wisdom teeth come through? It may be that, I got all mine out nearly 2 years ago, pretty simple op! Good luck <3 Node anxiety is a horrible one :(
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 26-05-18, 10:17
daisy4001 daisy4001 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 38
Re: Ultrasound tomorrow, so worried

oh yeah my wisdom teeth all erupted/grew well and they have no problems except for my bottom left one which has been flaring up for weeks now. i'm thinking i have pericoronitis since i did have a flap of gum covering a part of that problematic tooth.

having node anxiety (or health anxiety in general) is indeed a pain! but i try not to check for them nodes anymore, because if i did, then i'd surely find nodes. and even if they're small, soft, and squishy, i'll still be like, worried, and that in itself would be causing more stress for me.

i am predicting that i will inevitably go down the path of undergoing a dental surgery of some sorts after my check-up lol or idk, it's up to the dentist to decide!
__________________
battling health anxiety, slowly but surely!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tomorrow, ultrasound, worried


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ultrasound tomorrow! katniss Medical Tests/Procedures 1 29-01-18 14:44
Ultrasound Tomorrow TheMadOladCoger Health Anxiety 3 24-08-15 21:01
Really bad HA lately..please help... :( Ultrasound tomorrow goldie84 Health Anxiety 0 17-09-14 01:30
Ultrasound tomorrow - worried. eevee Health Anxiety 7 02-04-14 18:06
Ultrasound tomorrow.. LauraJay Health Anxiety 1 13-12-11 16:35


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.