Thread: Stopping fluoxetine due to side effects

Unhappy Stopping fluoxetine due to side effects

I was on fluoxetine for about 8 years, stupidly came off it to try a new med which it turned out I couldn't afford. But I was feeling a little better so weaned off the fluoxetine.
    Felt pretty decent for a few months and then started getting a bit anxious so thought I should re-start. Stupidly, went right back on at 20mg. I tried for 4 weeks but the SEs were too awful. Extreme anxiety, unable to eat or sleep, ended up in ER after fainting due to lack of food.
    PsyDoc said it was ok to just stop after 4 weeks, so I did. It' been a week and I still feel terrible. My anxiety is really high. Will this go away? Has anyone experienced stopping flux due to SEs (and not going on a new med)?

Re: Stopping fluoxetine due to side effects

I can't say about coming off fluoxetine as I'm
    Only 6 weeks into taking it after a really rough year. Basically I was on citalopram for 10 years and had been stable for several years, weaned off them (under dr supervision) and all hell broke loose! I suffered the worst discontinuation ever, anxiety and depression worse than I'd ever felt. After hoping things would settle down, after 12weeks I ended up in hospital feeling suicidal and unable to function. I was then started on fluoxetine and diazepam (as and when needed). I was then hit by another wave of intense side effects including severe anxiety, nausea, diarrhoea, sweating, couldn't eat. But at 6 weeks things are starting to settle. I've not needed diazepam
    For a week now so that's a start. I know I was taking a different drug but I think people have similar experiences with most Ssris. It was concluded that I tapered way to quickly, my body has been used to the citalopram for so long then I took it away, had nothing for 3 months then started something new. It doesn't know what's going on. Maybe that's what's happening with you?

Thread Information