Thread: Side effects persisting

Side effects persisting

Hi,

I have been on Sertraline since the end of February (after trying escitalopram) and have gradually worked up from 25mg - currently 150mg. I have been on 150mg for 5 weeks. I had a horrible start up with very increased anxiety but ever since 100mg I have had very shaky hands and little twitches and jerks. Like my leg will jerk or my hand will twitch. It's so crazy annoying as it doesn't give me a chance to forget about the anxiety and is like a permanent reminder.

I will say that my anxiety is under control and I can carry out a 'normal' life but these side effects are getting me down and frustrated more than anything.

So my question is, do I persevere knowing I have been on it for nearly 6 months and it will be a process coming off or do I come off and try something else?

I would appreciate some balanced opinions!

thanks,
    Lisa
    Last edited by LisaS; 04-09-18 at 09:49. Reason: enable email notification

Re: Side effects persisting

Oh my goodness, I have been posting while you were writing yours. I have similar effects with Escitalopram. I see you tried that first. Did it affect you in the same way? Sertraline has been suggested to me. Your post has put me right off. Surely they’re both activating and cause restlessness and twitching?

Like you, I’ve done all the hard work of tapering onto a drug and just hate the idea of withdrawal, but the side-effects are just not going away. I don’t think I can tolerate this drug indefinitely even though it helps with my anxiety.

What next?

It's always so nice to hear you're not alone, even though it's under crappy circumstances!
    How long have you been on esc and at what dose?
    I was actually on escitalopram in 2015 and although I had really bad start up anxiety, it gradually faded and I stayed on it for a year - I didn't have any of this shaky, twitchy business at all. Then I tried it again in January and the start up anxiety was hideous so I thought I would try something else.
    Had I known the sertraline would do this, I would have probably ridden it out.
    Maybe I'm not cut out for SSRI's!
    If I do come off it, I will try and go on to Pristiq as I've heard this is an SNRI and pretty well tolerated...
    What are you taking it for?

I started on it in April, moving up from 2.5 to 10 very quickly, then after a while to 15, and I’ve now gone down to 12.5.

I take it for anxiety. I’ve been on meds for 20 years. 6 on paroxetine, 10 on Trimipramine (tricyclic) a smidgen of mirtazapine, and Amitriptyline.

Escitalopram is making me hyper and twitchy, I have ear/sinus problems, light-headedness, yawning, huge appetite, it goes on.

I worry that all the other SSRIs will do the same. The only sedating one is paroxetine and it made me put on tons of weight.

I haven’t heard of Pristiq, I shall investigate.

Yep Pristiq is desvenlafaxine - an offshoot of Effexor.

I've taken Effexor too and it worked pretty well, so I thought the newer version may work even better!

I feel like I've done the SSRI's now! It's so boring isn't it. Especially with everyone expecting you to be better and wondering how you can still be suffering.
    I think they hyperness is also keeping my weight off - gotta look for the positives!

I did a genetic test not long ago that looks how your body metabolises certain drugs incl. antidepressants - I was hoping it was going to say that I react badly to them but it said I should have a 'normal' reaction. It did recommend the Pristiq as that doesn't rely on any genetic component.

Keep in touch and let me know how you go. I'm seeing my psychiatrist on Friday - last time she prescribed me propanolol for the physical symptoms but they made me really sleepy but unable to sleep - can't win.

I was wondering about Trazodone? Sedating sounds good for the agitation and insomnia.

Thread Information