Thread: The toilet culture

The toilet culture

Hi everyone :-)
    this is my first post.
    I suffer from panic attacks for about 10 years now.
    I never seek for help, but today was the first time I went to the doctor to get an appointment.
    I just can't fight this awful feeling.

Symptoms; first it starts like heavy breathing with heart beats and sweating. Parallel with it comes this feeling like I would like to disappear from wherever I am, like something bad is going to happen, but never knew what. And after that a sharp pain hits my lower stomach, like a sharp knife is in there and I get a huge urge for a toilet (the NO.2) otherwise I will do it in the pants. Usually the stomach pain is so bad I have to go down on my knees and hold the stomach until it is gone (up to 10 seconds). It is embarrassing to have such an attack in public believe me.
    The sudden need for a toilet is real and I sure need one.
    My attacks were seldom before but now they are happening every day and my wife is just loosing patience to listen my complains all the time we have to leave the apartment.

The attacks happen anywhere really; bus, car, shops, bank, road when I walk...name it, even when I wait for the buss, and when I exit my home...I am not getting anywhere with this.
    More and more often I call in sick to my job because I have the feeling that it will strike me in the buss or on the street.

Now, the only safe place for me is the toilet now, I am serious, I know it might sound funny, but it is the truth.
    Any place that has a public toilet is a place I feel safe, but as soon I have to, for example leave the job and go home that's it my panic is starting again at some point, and the other way around from the way home - job, or any where really.

I wonder is there someone out there who has the same problem since I didn't find any articles o about this case on the net.

I even made a short movie called The Toilet Culture (3.45 sec.) 2005 talking about it like the only secure and private place left for the modern world man/woman.
    Any replies welcome.

Kind regards, thetoilethunter

Hi there,its all part of anxiety.When I have a panic attack I get terrible stomach pains an need to go to the loo.And its a matter of needing to go there and then.I know exactly how you feel.You will get some helpfull advise on this forum,you are not alone in how you feel.Im sure your wife isnt fed up of you,its just its hard for them to understand.
    Take care

Ellen XX

Welcome to the Forum.

My anxiety first started with needing the toilet, then got worse so I wouldn't go anywhere unless I knew there was one nearny. I saw my doc who gave me immodium for it. My anxiety has other symptoms too.

There's plenty of info on the Home page about symptoms that lots of us tend to get as a result of the adrenaline, digestive problems are common. You're in the right place for support and advice.

Lisa.

Lisa.

I remember when I first started wit anxiety and PA's I lost half a stone because I was always on the toilet and I lost my appetite.

Welcome aboard

Have you seen a doctor about this? What did they say?

It could be IBS or acid indigestion cos I get that and it is incredibly painful

Hope we can be of some help anyway.

People will forget what you said
    People will forget what you did
    But people will never forget how you made them feel

Nicola

Thread Information